H2 7 inch rim width limit

ClintBoisdeau310

i know this is somewhat of a dead horse topic, but i wanted to discuss the reasons why H2 is still to this day limted to a 7 inch max width wheel. Seems somewhat of a dated rule, i get years ago 15x7 was heavily used by both FWD honda's and miatas, and wider then 7 was hard to come by in the 15inch diamter and 4x100 bolt pattern. But fast forward to now, it seems like the 15x8 is really the new 15x7 since there is an abundant amount of availible 15x8s and wider wheels for the famous 4x100 pattern. From the outside looking in, as a interested party in the class(im building a EK hatch), myself and other friends of mine that have been involved with either HPDE or time attack in there Hondas get somewhat discouraged at the 7 inch max width rule when looking at the stock pile of 15x8 or wider rims in the garage. I get that most of the H2 veterans most likely have a good amount of 15x7 wheels in their collection and would rather not change. But i feel this rule is one of the main things that discourages new blood into the series. Regardless, ill most like deal with it when the car is ready to race and get some 15x7s, but i wanted to see some reasons i may be over looking. Most of the field is already on 225mm width tires, just seems more fitting if 8 inch was the max width to better support the tire widths you guys are already running. This is prolly not the best way for me to make my first post here with a debate, but i still wanted to ask. (Flame suit engaged:D)

AGREED!

GAWD I want 8-inch being the new max.

Case in point: A 205 Hoosier SM6 tire mounted on a 15x8 wheel is WIDER than a 225 Toyo RA1 tire mounted on a 15x7 wheel. By a significant margin. I have a nice pic I could upload if people think I'm bonkers. And yes I know Hoosier sizing is a bit cheater but still.

And I would feel more comfortable and might be compelled to actually buy 16x8 wheels and run the 245/45R16 tire vs squeezing them onto 16x7 wheels.

And I would feel more comfortable and might be compelled to actually buy 16x8 wheels and run the 245/45R16 tire vs squeezing them onto 16x7 wheels.

For 2014 the tire width limit for H2 for limited and factory prep is 235. So the above would not be legal.

Edited to be more specific

Edited by Guest

Oh crap. I forgot about that. Lol.

doh-left-my-brain-in-the-fridge-again.jpg

Correction: I just found something that makes me very much dislike that new rule. Factory Prep (S2K) is limited to 8" wheels and 235 tires. Limited Prep is limited to 7" wheels and 235 tires. Restricted Prep is limited to 7" wheels but does not specify a tire width restriction.

BBBUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Question, I don't get the comfortable part, 1000's of race miles have been done on 7" rims and 245's, whats not to be comfortable about.....it works just fine as proven.

Loren

Here's my reasoning/understanding for the tire and wheel limit: A 225 on a 7" rim will easily fit ANY chassie without much (if any) compromises. The DC2's and Preludes have more room under the fenders then the civics. Yes i know it's possible to cram a fat 245 on a 8" rim on an EK, but you're sacraficeing ride height, camber, off sets, track width, ect that a DC or lude might not have to make.

the h2 rule should be if it fits your wheel well run it , pick your chassis and maximize/tune it ....easy to tech/racer police, the limits of each car are well known.....as in any amateur series, the more the rules, the more reason's cars don't show. Is H2 a tuners series or a spec series..... or is someone just not happy they can only get a 225 under there crx or civic.....again why make changes.....what purpose is really behind this new rule out of the blue.....that's the rub for me.

Loren

• 3 weeks later...

GRM just did an article where a 225 tire on a 15x8 was not any faster than a 205 on a 15x8, but the same 225 of a 15x9 was 0.5 second faster than the 225 on the 15x8.

I would like to see 15x8 available to all classes, and at least H2.

15x8... that's a lot of people having to change things AND!!!!!...

makes more sense than PUSSY HP CAPS but like someone said in another post... lets quit changing things and have some stability in the rules.

BTW HP CAPS are lame.

• 4 weeks later...

so i just starting running 15x7 and had some 205 r6 to wear out and man it felt sloppy compared to a 8, felt like a wet noodle flopping around jumping 3 at RA, i could actually feel the front left tire fold under with 3.4 camber, i can not imagine what a 225 would feel like on a 7

but dont change the rules yet i just got some 15x7 TE37 to run for H2 recently

so i just starting running 15x7 and had some 205 r6 to wear out and man it felt sloppy compared to a 8, felt like a wet noodle flopping around jumping 3 at RA, i could actually feel the front left tire fold under with 3.4 camber, i can not imagine what a 225 would feel like on a 7

but dont change the rules yet i just got some 15x7 TE37 to run for H2 recently

I agree that leaving the 7" rule is a good idea since most of us have investd in expensive wheels and some chassis can't use a wider wheel.

As far as the fitment: Keep in mind that the Toyos need to run at higher pressures than Hoosiers. Plus, a Hoosier 205 is as wide as a Toyo 225.

• 1 year later...

But, what about the people who already have 8+ 7in wheels.

The rule has been seven for how long? I'd be thoroughly pissed if it went above 7 because then I'd have to buy 8 more wheels just to fit the "max" of the class. Like mentioned above, why not keep the stability in the class? Keep changing rules, I'll just find a Miata and have fun in PTE.