Through the floor subframe connectors, worth it?

jeffmerkur

I'm still building my car, I was wondering if the through the floor subframe connectors are worth the added work and weight? I already have regular ones installed. I was thinking of doing the other ones before I install my cage. If it makes the car stiffer then I'm all about it.

My other question is about jacking rail installed along the pinch weld. Are they legal? Would it be considered a safety device because it makes the floor stronger? I don't want to get called out for modifying the floor pan? I did a search but couldn't really find anything.

Thanks

I'm still building my car, I was wondering if the through the floor subframe connectors are worth the added work and weight? I already have regular ones installed. I was thinking of doing the other ones before I install my cage. If it makes the car stiffer then I'm all about it.

My other question is about jacking rail installed along the pinch weld. Are they legal? Would it be considered a safety device because it makes the floor stronger? I don't want to get called out for modifying the floor pan? I did a search but couldn't really find anything.

Thanks

Both are legal provided that you don't use them as loop holes to do other things. Don't remove most of the floor pan then add in new saying that they're wide subframe connectors. Cut the minimum to run the connectors then weld it back up.

Jacking rails are also fine, but don't use them as an excuse to remove a section of the floor pan.

Whether they're worth it or not will depend on your build. I like a light car, so they're not worth it to me. If you're planning on running a stout engine and would have to ballast anyway, it's low weight that's centered between the axles.

Thanks

Both are legal provided that you don't use them as loop holes to do other things. Don't remove most of the floor pan then add in new saying that they're wide subframe connectors. Cut the minimum to run the connectors then weld it back up.

Jacking rails are also fine, but don't use them as an excuse to remove a section of the floor pan.

Whether they're worth it or not will depend on your build. I like a light car, so they're not worth it to me. If you're planning on running a stout engine and would have to ballast anyway, it's low weight that's centered between the axles.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I should of stated this earlier but I want to set the drivers seat back and wanted something solid to tie my seat mounts to. Even the jacking rail would give me a sold mount on the out side of the floor pan to tie into. I don't want my seat mounts just welded to sheet metal. I agree lighter is better for sure but this is would be one of those compromises for safety.

My seat is set about as low and far back as possible. I welded my seat mount bracket out of 1" square tubing and then bolted it to the stock seat anchor points. The front mounts attach on the fwd floor pan cross brace and the rears are bolted and lock nutted through the stock holes but the subframe connectors seat braces are also there so the seat is tied to the subframe connector there.

Just a thought cause through the floors are a lot of work and for me they would make me raise my seat up. That won't work cause I'm too tall.

Car is a 00 gt, seems there are enough bodies in AI now that saying what chassis you have is a good idea.

My seat is set about as low and far back as possible. I welded my seat mount bracket out of 1" square tubing and then bolted it to the stock seat anchor points. The front mounts attach on the fwd floor pan cross brace and the rears are bolted and lock nutted through the stock holes but the subframe connectors seat braces are also there so the seat is tied to the subframe connector there.

Just a thought cause through the floors are a lot of work and for me they would make me raise my seat up. That won't work cause I'm too tall.

Car is a 00 gt, seems there are enough bodies in AI now that saying what chassis you have is a good idea.

Good call, your right. Its a 88 Thunderbird, basically a stretched fox mustang. I have the opposite problem you do. Im short (5,7") and fat. So I'm trying to use my mass to help offset the engine and trans by setting myself back. The being up a little higher will be a good thing for me.

I was thinking the same thing too, move as much of my weight rearwards as possible. I need to corner weight the car to see where I'm at.

Good luck with the ttfsfc install.