Life insurance and HPDE

jranaudo

applying for life insurance and they have a form which lists dangerous activities. Racing is listed but since HPDE is not racing I am unsure what to put. Can anyone recommend how they handled this? Thanks!

applying for life insurance and they have a form which lists dangerous activities. Racing is listed but since HPDE is not racing I am unsure what to put. Can anyone recommend how they handled this? Thanks!

If it spells out racing, then don't put racing if you are only doing HPDEs. If it says driving on racetracks, that is another story.

H-High

P-Performance

D-Driver

E-Education

You are bettering yourself.... Higher Education.

You should get a deduction in your rates....

Not Racing

I'd would probably just get clarification from the carrier. Would suck if something should ever happen and the benefits get tied up over it being HPDE vs Racing.

• 4 weeks later...

Racing and HPDE (which is a driver's school) are two very different things. Very different.

When you start competing for a trophy or a plaque in a points race all season long, then you are racing. There is a reason you aren't required to have a full cage and a firesuit in HPDE. It's a driver's school.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just went through this with my life insurance company. I was uncertain how to answer as were they. So I explained what HPDE was to the rep and she told me someone would get back to me. Someone indeed did and it was clarified that HPDE was not considered racing and doesn't affect my policy. This was with AllState in NJ, so it may differ on companies and locations.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a different experience with an umbrella insurance policy and Nationwide. I was told that I was not able to apply because of on track activities - HPDE as well. I know you listed it as a life insurance question, but just wanted to share my experience with a different company.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through this myself. When I quit racing motorcycles 2 years ago I was told I could lower my rate if I stayed retired from motorcycle racing for 2 years and didn't plan to go back. I mentioned HPDE to my agent and was told if it wasn't racing it didn't count against me. Now I'm contemplating if I should tell them I want to race cars or not since I'm already covered. I'm not sure they could deny a claim once I'm covered as long as I wasn't doing it at the time of the application.

I included a letter of what HPDE is and I still qualified for the best rate possible. Apparently I am healthy. Since it's part of the package of signed documents I feel comfortable they would cover me because I disclosed it.