Six point sub belt mounting

Dillon

Searched but didn't find much...CCR isn't clear either as far as I can tell...

I'm about to install a roll bar in my TT car, and plan on installing an aftermarket steering wheel and six point harness at the same time. However I don't want to install a fixed back seat yet (I drive the car on the street a lot), and I can't find any reclining seats that have a hole in the bottom for a sub belt.

I've seen a lot of posts on other forums about routing the sub belts through the side holes where the lap belts go...I think the idea is that they would mount to the same point (or slightly further forward) as the lap belts, but you sit on the belts so that they come up through the center of the seat. I've also seen talk of mounting them underneath the seat like normal, then just running them over the front of the seat. Which is legal (if either of them are)? Which is safer?

I do not believe either of those methods are safe. I know I wouldn't drive a car that had them.

When you buy a new harness from Schroth, for instance, they include their instructions for mounting the 5th point/6th points of the harness.

IMO do not upgrade to any 5-point/6-point harness until you are willing to commit to a fixed-back seat, a HANS or other head-neck safety piece, and proper rollover protection.

^^^ +1. I don't like the sound of any of that.

It is likely best to consult the harness manufacturer directly for proper answers to your questions.

Mark

If you get the right fixed back seat for you they really aren't uncomfortable, and I actually find them more comfortable than most stock seats. I agree with the others, don't mess around with ghetto routing belts. All of these items are designed as a system, if you change one part you need to change the others along with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I actually have no problems with using a fixed back seat (loved my Sparco Pro 2000 when I was racing), it's just that I don't know when the roll bar is going in...and routing a factory shoulder belt around a fixed back doesn't seem safe, either, although I have seen a ton of people do it. Plus I found a good deal on some nice lightweight reclining seats. Guess I will just wait.

From personal experience:

In my 99 Cobra years ago, I ran a 4-point rollbar and 6 point harnesses with the stock seats. What I did was cut the bottom of the seat, framed it with seat inserts, reinforced the bottom frame with a cross bar and mounted the sub-belt to that. It looked good and was safe, in my opinion. It is not a substitute for a proper race seat, but the harness mounting points met the requirements of the harness manufacturer and most club rule guidelines.

If you don't want to go through all of that and your main reason for wanting the 6-point harnesses now before the seat is to keep you planted in the stock seat, then you should try this product:

http://www.cg-lock.com/

It works like it says it does. I have used them in multiple vehicles and I carry several with me to every track event when I instruct. If I have a hard time staying in the seat of a student's car, I pop one of these on in about five minutes.

• 1 month later...