Clarification on "Non DOT" Tires in TT1

Sayajin

Quick question guys. I have read the 2014 rules several times and I want to verify my understanding of the rules when it comes to TT1 and weither tires are or are not DOT approved. Specifically the Hoosier R6s. Obviously the R6s are considered DOT approved by the Feds, however I know there are some exceptions to that classification in the rulebook. From me reading the R6s are listed as one of those exceptions, BUT ONLY if you are running TTB-TTF. If you are running TT3-TTU, they are not assessed the .7 point modifier and are considered DOT Legal tires.

I want to verify that I am reading the rules correctly and that is indeed the case? Thanks!

-Sayajin

R6s are DOT tires no matter what the class... so... what was the question?

TTB-F yeah, they cost more points than more basic trackday tires, or more points than actual street tires - but none of that matters for the much more open TT1-3 classes that are goverened by the weight/hp formula alone.

You can tell DOT tires two ways: 1. They usually have at least 2 groves in the tread, 2. They are sized like regualr street tires ie 275/40/17.

A tire that is not DOT would be a full slick sized in something like 275/640/17 as an example. In short the two tells of the tire are tread surface and the aspect ratio in the size stamp.

So, you're good to go.

And there is verbiage on the tire itself.

I think where he was getting confused is to the point Ken made: In B-F they cost more points than other DOT-approved "race" tires but in 1-3 the modifier for most DOT "race" tires (albeit 40 treadwear or 130 treadwear) is the same.

You can tell DOT tires two ways: 1. They usually have at least 2 groves in the tread, 2. They are sized like regualr street tires ie 275/40/17.

A tire that is not DOT would be a full slick sized in something like 275/640/17 as an example. In short the two tells of the tire are tread surface and the aspect ratio in the size stamp.

So, you're good to go.

As far as post race inspection, if the tire is not marked with DOT on the sidewall, it is not a DOT tire. Regardless of how many grooves or treads the tire may have. I would hesitate telling someone to go by those rules of thumb.