What classes can a Lotus Elise run in?

flyntgr

Assuming stock drive train and usual go-fast racing suspension and safety equipment:

Can a non-German car enter GTS classes?

Can a non-BMW enter E-30 class?

In what classes could my 2005 Lotus Elise NA possibly fit? [stock drive train, racing weight with driver 1930 lbs or more]

Dumb questions? Okay, the reason I ask the dumb questions is because at the last time I raced, a japanese car was allowed in E-30 class in alternative to PTC. So, if that was correct, perhaps my Lotus can go into other classes. If NOT correct, what is my proper response? Thanks.

I can't answer your main question as to where the lotus fits, but to answer your other questions....no you can't run a lotus in GTS, nor can your run anything in SE30 unless it is a SE30. I think you probably misinterpreted somebody being allowed to run a different car in SE30. Maybe they let him run in a class that was on the track with SE30.

A lotus would kill a SE30 all things equal.

I would assume there is a PT or ST class that the lotus fits in.

According to NASA PT rules here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/performance_touring_rules.pdf, it fits into PTC**. This means the car could run in PTC essentially bone stock (with all the racing safety gear in place). Any mods, even moving away from street tires, would put it in one of the ST classes, starting with ST3. Those rules are here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Super-Touring.pdf This would be starting off in the deep end of racing. Buying a cheap SE30, Sec Miata, or 944 Spec car would probably be a good idea, and likely much cheaper than just a basic race build on the Lotus. Also, keep in mind the cost of bodywork on the Lotus .

Addition to original post: I have had my car dynoed and it is making 173 rwhp at 1980 lbs of weight, so it falls into PTB in points and wt/hp ratio.

I have been racing for 5 years now: first the SMs, then a Porsche 951, now a Lotus Elise S2 NA. I like the way the Lotus handles and drives, is easy on the gas and easy on the tires and consumables. Mostly, it is just plain FUN to drive (I had a 2008 SC version which was more fun on the street, but would probably cause lots more maintenance in a racing environment).

I wish I had a V6 engine with gobs of h.p. and torque, but that won't happen so I'm going to be content with the 4 banger I have now. I am within a point or so being in PTC, given my smaller tire sizes. I have some things to do to eliminate some brake issues and fuel starving on hard Left handers, but mostly the car is enjoyable as is. ST3 might be too high, as this car only makes around 150-160 hp at rear wheels, and it weighs around 1980 lbs with the fuel I need to finish a 30 minute race. I'm hoping to get into PTC, and will run a dyno to help with that. Thanks for your replies, everyone. Flyntgr