Need some advice....

Falcon

I got out of racing in Dec. I sold everything. Swore I'd never get back into it. By January I was have severe withdrawals.

It didn't diminish very much with time, so I'm considering getting back into a race car, and Spec Miata makes the top of the list, but admittedly, I don't know crap about Miata's.

I have no intention of building a car, but would buy one already built so you guys can help me.

What's the best year to get?

Do they all have anti-lock brakes?

What tires are spec'ed?

How much race to race maintence is required?

Are parts relatively available/cheap?

What should I look to avoid in a race car?

Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A Miata...... From a vette to a miata.Never saw that one coming.

Hell, don't laugh, I have a plan. If I can get all the pieces put together, it'll get me back to the track.

What in the world are you doing cruising the Miatae forums?

Jody,

Come down to the house and drive our street Miata if you want to see how one feels and drives before diving right in. Ashley is in Raleigh through next weekend, but it will be at home after that.

BTW, Morris is selling his Vette. You could step right back into what you left.

-Kevin

Jody,

Come down to the house and drive our street Miata if you want to see how one feels and drives before diving right in. Ashley is in Raleigh through next weekend, but it will be at home after that.

BTW, Morris is selling his Vette. You could step right back into what you left.

-Kevin

Thanks, K., but I'd only do this on a very, vey part time basis. I'm trying to get in with just a toe in the water with a friend of mine who might want to take it deeper.

I might take you up on the ride in the Miata.

You ready for the EC championships?

Very common to see guys coming from big power to SM. I went from 500+ hp to SM and never looked back. Lots on info available at mazdaracers.com. You may want to try a rental for a weekend to see what it's like. Right now NA cars ('90-'97) are cheapest to buy and can be competitive based on driver. West coast still seem to favor 1.6 ('90-'92) while East coast favors '99. If you're planning on running NASA regionals check out your region's results on Mylaps and you'll get a pretty good idea. Bottom line is driver makes most difference. I was faster at WGI in my former 1.6 than I am in my current '99.

I was bored...What you need to buy is a Spec Iron car.You could finally gain back some respect after driving a vette all those years!And as far as the money goes our tax dollars is paying for everything now so live it up baby!!!

Thanks, K., but I'd only do this on a very, vey part time basis. I'm trying to get in with just a toe in the water with a friend of mine who might want to take it deeper.

I might take you up on the ride in the Miata.

You ready for the EC championships?

Yep, ready for Nats. Headed to Road Atl next weekend and running TTs to do some more shakedown on a few changes I have made - better breathing up front and new Penske coilovers.

When Ashley gets back in town, I will give you a ring. We can drive it up Monbo to Hick's Creek at speed. That would be a good little run for you to see how they handle.

-Kevin

I just made the jump from a Mustang (prepping for American Iron) to a Spec Miata. I did a test drive in one by renting one from CP Racing Rentals and freaking loved it (great guys btw). I couldn't get over how much more fun the SM was compared to the Mustang even running less than half the power. Yes, the straights take longer to get down but the attitude of the car during cornering and the spectacular braking won me over. After that rental I sold all of my Mustang gear and picked up a SM.

I will be out at Road Atlanta this weekend for my debut in the car but the things I like about it so far is how light and cheap the car is to run. The days of paying $500 for a set of brakes that last three weekends and $1000 set of tires are over.

I sold my 2000 Trans Am and jumped into a 1990 SM. I couldn't be happier. Parts are very cheap, easy to get, and last longer than they ever would on the large body V8 cars. I remember the days of 500$ worth of brakes that lasted 2 weekends and gas that never stopped disappearing. Now after my first VIR weekend I have a car I don't need to do anything to, breaks that show no wear, and I used maybe 15 gallons of gas. I couldn't be happier.