New aero goodies

AJ Hartman

I just finished developing some carbon fiber "innie" louvers for my car. They were wool tuff tested at speed to prove their affective ness. A hand over them once you park the car also shows the amount of heat that makes their way out of them but that was a side benefit for my particular situation as alleviating the high pressure under the fender to improve aero gain was my main goal. They could also be utilized in different locations to control heat or airflow. Unfortunately I do not have back to back testing at the same track (supported by AiM data) but I was able to set the record at LRP 4th of july weekend by almost 2 seconds!

IMG_2110_zpsa009a916.jpg

IMG_2109_zps0d60a54e.jpg

Full package working together.

IMG_2108_zps3c08dbf2.jpg

Keep in mind there are different grades of ABS with different melting/working points. It looks like the cheapy boat louvers are vacuum formed so probably use a low working temp ABS. The 13+ OEM louvers are probably injection moulded with a higher temp ABS (could possibly use a different material as well) but go for over $300! They probably use the injection moulding to yield a more dimensionally accurate part as well.

Keep in mind there are different grades of ABS with different melting/working points. It looks like the cheapy boat louvers are vacuum formed so probably use a low working temp ABS. The 13+ OEM louvers are probably injection moulded with a higher temp ABS (could possibly use a different material as well) but go for over $300! They probably use the injection moulding to yield a more dimensionally accurate part as well.

• Members

You can also use a thermoset plastic in lieu of a thermoplastic.

http://www.rlhudson.com/publications/techfiles/thermo.htm

AJ's fancy louvers weren't around when I put mine in, so they were ABS bilge pump vents.

32172_3747758111890_613777912_n.jpg