Ok. I'm confused...

Robb

Or maybe just just dimwitted, more on that later... Anywho, I want to get back into performance driving after a few years lay off due to my AutoX car getting toasted in a fire.

I used to run an '89 Golf with a few minor mods in F-Prepared class with the Madison (WI) Sports Car Club, part of Midwest Council of Sports Car Clubs. I won a fair number of events, mostly because that car and I were dialed in, despite it's tired 180,000 mile motor and rust. 'Twas truly a sad day when the Super Rabbit's fur (and all of the rest of the car!) was burned off in an untimely conflagration.

Before that (much, as in 1988!), when I was stationed in Germany, I caught the racing bug on an off weekend where I found myself at the Hockenheim Ring for a track day in my Euro-Spec 1979 Ford Capri, setting FTD for class. After that, I went to track days at a lot of famous European tracks; Nurburgring, Oesterriechring, Spa, Monza. It was cheap due to the currency exchange, and great fun. Back then, I had no concept of what FTD meant. I thought it was a flower company or something. All I knew was that I got a nifty little plastic trophy, and there were gorgeous German girls everywhere, including one who later become my ex-wife!

In the ensuing years, I've raced a bunch of different venues, karting, NASCAR late models, AutoX, even drag racing as time and money would allow.

So now for my confusion, that I'm hoping you all will help with. My experience with SCCA has been, let's say, less than heartwarming. I'm a lot less tolerant of silly BS than I used to be. Thier licensing process is needlessly long and costly, and I think that I'm a bit scared of a lacksidaisical attitude with MCSCC, though I've never seen anything to suggest that they are anything less than completely professional. I'm nearing 40 years old and about to retire from the US Air Force, and I want to race. I'm poor, as you might imagine given my government paycheck, but I want to go racing. How long will it take, and how much is it going to cost me to earn a competition license with NASA? I understand that I will have to go through the HPDE process to get to a license, and that varies with every driver based on competence, but what's the standard? I can't seem to find any relevant info on the NASA website that will guide me on what I seek. My interest lies with IT/PS type cars, and the PS classes seem almost an afterthought to NASA, will I be relugated to having to go to SCCA to find a place to race? Lord, I hope not.

For the record, I don't mind doing a whole season of HPDE's, there's a whole lot more track time than racing sprints, but wheel to wheel is where it's at, you know?

Sorry for the long diatribe, any insight on NASA's licensing process would be greatly appreciated!

Robb

• National Staff

Robb,

Welcome to NASA. First, I would recommend that you contact Lawrence Mansier, your Regional Director [email protected] to help you determine which HPDE group he would like you to start in. Clearly, I wouldn't start you in HPDE1 based on your prior experience. You should then participate in your first NASA HPDE, and speak with Lawrence and your region's Race Director to answer your questions on how long they think it will take for you to become licensed. The answer is going to depend largely on your driving ability in traffic, and prior track (not auto-cross) experience. The Midwest and Ohio/Indiana regions both run Competiton Schools at their events, but your Director will have to tell you when you will be eligible to enter the school. In general, a track virgin with average talent can become licensed in about 1 1/2 to 2 years through the HPDE system. An experienced track driver can cut that down to less than 1 year easily (2-6 months very possible). And someone with prior race experience could be as little as a few months. Our focus is to make sure that those that get a race license are going to be safe to race with, which I'm sure you would agree with. Also, our Time Trial program (that is very popular in your two closest regions) is a great stepping stone to wheel to wheel racing.

We still have a fair amount of racers that race in the PS classes, but as you have noticed, our drivers gravitate toward our Spec series because of the great competition within these classes, and the ability to control costs at whatever level you desire. Some of our least expensive classes end up having the most competitive races. Once you get out to the track with us, you'll be able to chat with a bunch of different racers, and get their perspectives on the various popular race classes in your region.

Welcome again, and thanks for your service.

Robb,

First and foremost; Thank You for your service to our country!

Second: NASA's HPDE is definetly the way to go. You're right in your assesment of the SCCA. I'm going to my first HPDE next month at PIR, (AZ). NASA has a "Mentor" program. I went this rout and I'm glad that I did. Shoot an email to your Region's Director and you'll find folks more than willing to help.

I was blind like this too, but once I asked for help, it came pouring in. The racers involved with NASA seem far more willing to welcome newcomers. That's why I'm going with NASA.

Also, on the HPDE web page, they mention the Time Trials. It's the next step to wheel to wheel competition and it costs far less that a fully prepped race car. What I like about it, is that you can still get on the track, which is why we're out there to begin with.

Robb,

Also, if you want to see firsthand what our events are like, there will be two more in your "general area" of the Midwest.

Sept 23-24 the Midwest region will be at the Mid America Motorplex (in Iowa, about 20 minutes from Omaha NE). And Oct 8-9 the OH/IN region will at Putnam Park, about 30 miles west of Indianapolis.

Hope to see you on track soon!

Thanks for the replies! I believe that I will try to make it to the Mid-America event as a spectator, particularly because I haven't seen that track yet.

Hope to see you guys on the track!

I raced a kart at Putnam park a few years back, so I might drop in at that event, too.