Pass Tech with Schroth 4 Point Quickfits

dsc off

Not too long ago Schroth released 4 point Quickfits designed for the E9x and E82. I know regular 4 points are looked down upon and may not even pass tech with certain clubs but...

1) Is there an exception for Schroth since they have the anti-submarining (ASM) technology?

2) Does the rule of equal restraints apply to Schroth harnesses too? I know if anything some instructors would prefer the factory belts over a 4 point regardless of manufacturer. If they are required, could I get away with a Pro harness (used with HANS) and non-Pro on driver side (no HANS)?

I typically drive solo but every once in a while I'd like to take an instructor with me. I should clarify my dedicated track car has seats/rollbar/6 points but I'd like the option to take out my daily and use my HANS if my track car isn't available.

Edited by Guest

page 28 of the CCRs, page 40 in the PDF document basically states that:

The only

four-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE / TT are 1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/98

certification, or 2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal

Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle

(e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”). Such label must be easily visible to the NASA inspector.

Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT-only certification are not allowed.

That section 11 as a whole covers minimum required safety equipment and apparell for HPDE & TT cars/drivers.

page 28 of the CCRs, page 40 in the PDF document basically states that:

The only

four-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE / TT are 1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/98

certification, or 2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal

Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle

(e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”). Such label must be easily visible to the NASA inspector.

Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT-only certification are not allowed.

That section 11 as a whole covers minimum required safety equipment and apparell for HPDE & TT cars/drivers.

Thanks for the clarification. Also if the car is typically driven solo, can I pass tech with just harnesses on driver side only? Like would it be one of those scenarios "yes we'll pass your tech with driver side harnesses only but no passengers allowed" or "solo or not, you need equal restraints".

I'm not a tech inspector for Texas, but, I would think if the "seat" wasn't going to be used it wouldn't matter what restraints it had. CCRs don't expressely require restraints to be of equal level, however, the instructor or passenger can always refuse to use them so it's always best practice to have them be of equal levels.

For an official "you can count on it" answer I'd ping your region's tech person. I would think it would be a reasonable request to ask for, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to seek clarification on the issue.