Racer Connect Live coverage of Eastern States Championships

Racer Connect

Racer Connect Live coverage has started for the NASA Eastern States Championships 2014! Racer Connect Live is your one stop shop for any and all live updates during the championship event this weekend in Road Atlanta, perfect for friends and family not able to make the trip to the track.

http://live.racerconnect.com/index.php/nasa-eastern-states-championships-2014

Racer Connect Live proudly features:

-Live Twitter feed

-Videos

-Picture Highlights

-Image Gallery

-Live Streaming (track and in-car)

-Live Timing and Scoring

-Live Schedule

We will be live tweeting the entire event and encourage you to join in the conversation! Just use #nasachamps in your tweet to have it show up in our live Twitter feed.

We will also be constantly uploading pictures and videos of the event including driver interviews!

The Live Schedule is updated by race control throughout the event and is a perfect way for racers to stay on time during the event.

Racer Connect is still new and under constant development. Please post any comments and feedback so we can make sure the site provides unparalleled content the users and fans want.

I have not seen it work yet either and I have checked it a 1/2 dozen times over the last 2-days. I hope it gets fixed before the races tomorrow.

Watched the feed from the qual race this afternoon from the #7 350Z, which dropped out a few laps in. However we did get to see the whole qualifying race from multiple GTS cars from the last session. Quality was iffy but not sure if that was the uplink or our download, as we're currently in Europe... cool nonetheless! Hope there is some commentary overlaid for the races!

Quality was iffy but not sure if that was the uplink or our download, as we're currently in Europe... cool nonetheless! Hope there is some commentary overlaid for the races!

Same issue here

This disappointing. Really looking forward to watching the races this morning. Random spots from Griswolds car and that is it.

I have Verizon FIOS so I know my speed is very good.

This disappointing. Really looking forward to watching the races this morning. Random spots from Griswolds car and that is it.

I have Verizon FIOS so I know my speed is very good.

Yea, I've seen spotty feeds, at best. Watched Griswold for about 7 laps and then it dropped...of course right before a lead change.

I am having other racers come to my house to watch most of the races later today. I'm trying to be optimistic that it we'll be able to watch, but I won't hold my breath.

Very disappointed.

Sad that the last PT/Porsche race had no in-car footage, but at least the front straight + commentary was there most of the time. Thanks for the service and hopefully experience gained this year can lead to even better coverage next year. Pretty cool stuff for club racing!

I hate to be rude to racerconnect but this coverage was terrible. At the start of the AI/SI/CMC race there was no video at all and all I got was audio from Griswold's in-car for the first 7 laps. At least I could tell where he was on the course with his shifting and paired that with the live timing app on my phone. Then about 2 laps from the end of the race the camera for the front straight came on and was only about 30 seconds delayed.

I do hope this gets corrected if the same live feed is used for future National events.

Sorry for just now responding to this thread, the weekend was pretty hectic at the track.

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry you had trouble viewing the live feeds. We were not under contract by NASA to air this event live. Racer Connect offered this as a FREE service for NASA, it's members, and it's fans. Our goal is to bring the club racing series live to everyone which is not being done anywhere else. This was our debut of this service and we were working with bandwidth limitations of both the track network and local cell tower networks. In general, most of the fans that have given us feedback have said the stream has been quite clear and smooth.

All in-car streaming was done from iPhones. The quality of the in-car streams was limited to the cell network coverage around the track and as most of you know, cell data coverage is not the greatest at race tracks. We lowered the quality of the streams in an effort to have the stream be smooth at a reduced resolution and bit rate. In addition to network limitations, we also had hardware issues with the iPhones overheating due to very hot ambient temperatures and even hotter temperatures inside the race cars.

The front straight stream was provided by an iPad in the tower. Despite being connected to Wi-Fi, we still struggled with network interruptions that caused the feed to randomly stop. We did our best to babysit the feed all weekend but we only had so many people so there were multiple interruptions.

I hope this clears up some of the frustration that some of you had with the coverage. We plan to continue to grow and expand the coverage to provide live coverage of future club racing events.

I wasn't able to catch up with RC during the weekend to see what equipment you were doing this off of, but you may want to check into this type of hardware as it's a bit more robust and industrial. Hook up to a GoPro and you have some good feed, but will need to host external and then stream from their. If you want I could guide you, for a fee.

http://www.teradek.com

Kudos to the racer connect team - if they had not tried, those of us that were not fortunate enough to be there or racing - got to see some live action and some in car live action.

So, quit bitching : offer help : maybe with some assistance or positive constructive feedback, this will get better over time.

As mentioned above, this was offered free, not sanctioned or sponsored by NASA : so, with that.

Thanks for the effort - it was better than not having anything..

So, I will say thanks to Racer Connect for offering this free service for NASA. For the races I wanted to follow I had nothing except for the live timing that I said earlier was spot on and valuable. I will not criticize or express anything about the coverage.

However, based on the end results I think maybe paying for quality and reliable coverage would have been a worth while move. I am not sure why free had to be the only option and you get what you pay for.

I thought it was cool. I had several people who were able to follow some of my races from afar, something that we couldn't do in the past.

However, based on the end results I think maybe paying for quality and reliable coverage would have been a worth while move. I am not sure why free had to be the only option and you get what you pay for.

Especially when they have had Speedcast the last several years and it was great (and something NASA hasn't commented on, even with several forum and Facebook posts by several different people asking the same question)......

That being said, THANK YOU Racer Connect for doing this, it gave those of us at home at least some coverage of Nationals!

Especially when they have had Speedcast the last several years and it was great (and something NASA hasn't commented on, even with several forum and Facebook posts by several different people asking the same question)......

That being said, THANK YOU Racer Connect for doing this, it gave those of us at home at least some coverage of Nationals!

I think it was really cool of RC to try to bridge the coverage gap. That will be cool once all of the kinks are ironed out.

I feel pretty cheated about not having speedcast at the event. The two National events at Mid-Ohio that I attended the coverage by SC was amazing. It really felt like we were doing something much cooler than a regional event. I really hope that Nasa will step up their game and get speedcast back for the VIR Nationals. It sucked telling friends and family that were used to SC, sorry.

It is my understanding that the cash received from the "speeding tickets" was actually not blown on beer and booze, as had been reported, but was instead put towards paying for proper media coverage for future NASA national events. Is this true?

FYI people.......The in car feeds didn't work as the cockpit temps became too high and shut down the phones! For Saturday's quali race in the #7 350z we chilled the phone in out cooler but that still only made it last for a few laps before shutting down.