Evolution of the FOX (Part II)

Marshall M.

• Members

So... as most of you guys know, I can't leave well enough alone. Also, trying to find the mysterious 1/2 second that separates myself and Mike Patterson has me digging further into my brain for great ideas to make the car faster. My current suspension (prior to this post) was a Griggs Torque arm and Watts Link. The torque arm is very long, so with the subsequent instant center being very far forward in the car, provides less than ideal bite out of the corners. The benefit of this type of suspension is the axle also doesn't want to lift much, so axle hop under braking is non-existent (good thing). I've read a lot about decoupled torque arms and was trying to think of how to utilize that idea on my car.

While scrolling thru a Coleman catalog, I came across a decoupled three-link from roundy round cars. This looked appealing, as the packing was pretty compact and it would all go in from the top. After gathering up the required chassis parts, I went to work.

22751-color.jpg

I didn't take any progress pics on this one due to a compressed timeline and time at the shop before the next event. So... here is the final product.

10672429_10201529948209956_8667910869606514275_n.jpg?oh=8741fd783fd6d3fe22fe84eed5b38690&oe=548DECA9&__gda__=1419111359_b4072dcab576dc19c47718ff5d7e8d01

10672239_10201529948249957_5862500871191103073_n.jpg?oh=ea426dd2301c7b5ed88f7b6cf2bf5a94&oe=54A2A7B3

10420156_10201529948289958_1814849722885454383_n.jpg?oh=607d0e69ca53efac1272eadd675c7e3b&oe=5492CB68&__gda__=1419190807_9bf6098b2d1caa1835367756e9beadac

This design should provide the same braking effect as I had before, but more bite on acceleration.

• Members

Interesting... Can't wait to hear your feedback on how it does.

But if you want to know how to outrun Mike P. in a Fox body, just talk to Scott McKay - 2014 AI National Champ (in a Fox body)!! Sorry Mike, had to throw that out there!

Ed

• Members

Similar idea to the following, just with a three link.

The dual-action three link is de-coupled, so you get the geometry which provides for a very short SVIC (side view instant center) under acceleration, providing a much larger amount of anti-squat. Under braking, the acceleration link goes slack, and the braking bar has a very long SVIC, which reduced the potential for axle hop.

TA_diag_accel.jpg

TA_diag_brake.jpg

• Members
Damn, Ed went all nuclear on Marshall.

Why you gotta be hating Ed? Lol

No, nothing against Marshal - he's fast and a smart guy. I was just glad to see a Fox body win the ECC!! I love 'old school"!

Ed

• Members
Damn, Ed went all nuclear on Marshall.

Why you gotta be hating Ed? Lol

No, nothing against Marshal - he's fast and a smart guy. I was just glad to see a Fox body win the ECC!! I love 'old school"!

Ed

Ed,

I never took it as an attack. I love brining a knife to a gun fight. The mechanical engineer in me doesn't let me give up the '79 Fairmont baseline for "turd polishing"...

Unfortunately our NOLA event on the 20th was cancelled, so TWS in October will be the first "test" unless I can break free for a test day at a local track on a guest pass...

I've never been much of a scientist when it comes to all this. I like how Mosty gets all into the science. I'm too dumb for all that. I just try to get on the gas as early and for as long as I can. It seems to work.

I just try to get on the gas as early and for as long as I can. It seems to work.

Oh, Okay. You mean like this?! Watch from the 3:00 minute mark. Somethings definitely working...

I just try to get on the gas as early and for as long as I can. It seems to work.

Oh, Okay. You mean like this?! Watch from the 3:00 minute mark. Somethings definitely working...

slingshot engage and we all know bruce is a cheater Ohhh Bruce ..................