Newbie to HC

EikouM3

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. I've always wanted to try w2w racing and figured HC might be a good place to start. I'm currently on my 4th year of HPDE's but have been driving my 05 m3 since I began and thought it might be a good idea to start driving or practicing in the actual car I hope to race.

I found a great deal on a bone stock 93 cx hatchback with stock 98' jdm itr full swap and just wanted to know what your thoughts are on beginning with this platform? If I read the rules/guidelines correctly I think with some further modifications this car/swap would be eligible for H2 class. Any opinions or info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

- Kelvin

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. I've always wanted to try w2w racing and figured HC might be a good place to start. I'm currently on my 4th year of HPDE's but have been driving my 05 m3 since I began and thought it might be a good idea to start driving or practicing in the actual car I hope to race.

I found a great deal on a bone stock 93 cx hatchback with stock 98' jdm itr full swap and just wanted to know what your thoughts are on beginning with this platform? If I read the rules/guidelines correctly I think with some further modifications this car/swap would be eligible for H2 class. Any opinions or info would be greatly appreciated, thank you. - Kelvin

Kevin - just wondering - where are you located, and what Nasa region do you run with? Also, where in HPDE are you - HPDE-3, HPDE-4, or TT? It sounds like the car will fit nicely into H2, but if it is truly stock (other than engine/trans), then you'll probably want better front brakes (say ITR/Honda V6 calipers with larger rotors and track pads), and at least a good set of coilovers plus larger rear sway bar etc... This Nasa HC forum is good, but Honda-Tech http://honda-tech.com/ has a road race/autocross forum at http://honda-tech.com/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/ that also has a lot of good info, but search for info in Honda-Tech before asking for help.

PS - you might also want to consider buying a race car that is already built (with full cage, suspension mods, etc.) as it may be cheaper than modifying your car. If you do buy a used race car, make sure that the cage is done well, and that there aren't issues with the welds etc. - Jim

Kevin - just wondering - where are you located, and what Nasa region do you run with? Also, where in HPDE are you - HPDE-3, HPDE-4, or TT? It sounds like the car will fit nicely into H2, but if it is truly stock (other than engine/trans), then you'll probably want better front brakes (say ITR/Honda V6 calipers with larger rotors and track pads), and at least a good set of coilovers plus larger rear sway bar etc... This Nasa HC forum is good, but Honda-Tech http://honda-tech.com/ has a road race/autocross forum at http://honda-tech.com/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/ that also has a lot of good info, but search for info in Honda-Tech before asking for help.

PS - you might also want to consider buying a race car that is already built (with full cage, suspension mods, etc.) as it may be cheaper than modifying your car. If you do buy a used race car, make sure that the cage is done well, and that there aren't issues with the welds etc. - Jim

I'm in NYC and currently run with NASA North East region. I do DE's with any club that fits into my schedule but mostly NASA, PCA and BMW CCA and I'm currently running in HPDE 4/Advanced but occasionally drive with an instructor since there's always something new to learn.

I've considered buying a prepped race car since it will likely be a lot less expensive but haven't had any luck finding any remotely close to me so I figured I'd just start from the ground up. Thanks for the info Jim.

Welcome to Honda Challenge! Your car will fit nicely in H2 as long as the engine and the transmission are stock or modified within the rules. You will probably want to put a bunch of go fast parts on it. If you do, just make sure the parts fall within the rules.

Welcome to Honda Challenge! Your car will fit nicely in H2 as long as the engine and the transmission are stock or modified within the rules. You will probably want to put a bunch of go fast parts on it. If you do, just make sure the parts fall within the rules.

Thank you!

If you can, come out to our event at NJMP Oct 24-26 and have a chat with the HC guys. There are a handfull of us that can give you some good advice on how to cheaply get your car fast. We've been doing this a while, and know what works and what doesn't. I think it'd be well worth the trip if you weren't already coming to do HPDE at this NASA NE event anyway.

If you can, come out to our event at NJMP Oct 24-26 and have a chat with the HC guys. There are a handfull of us that can give you some good advice on how to cheaply get your car fast. We've been doing this a while, and know what works and what doesn't. I think it'd be well worth the trip if you weren't already coming to do HPDE at this NASA NE event anyway.

Funny that you mention it, I just signed up for that event and hoped that I could talk to a couple of the HC racers to get some tips and pointers. Hopefully I'll see you there!

Funny that you mention it, I just signed up for that event and hoped that I could talk to a couple of the HC racers to get some tips and pointers. Hopefully I'll see you there!

I'll definitely be there...just look for the car in my avatar

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<