East Coast ST Plans for 2015?

brkntrxn

We kick off this topic about this time each year.

So who is planning on running which Super Touring Class in 2015? With East Coast Nationals at Virginia International Raceway, we should have some good turnouts like we did at Road Atlanta this past year.

Brian Bower's and I tentatively agreed to run ST2 all year because he doesn't want to detune and there has historically been very little ST3 participation in the Mid-Atlantic region. If a lot of ST3 cars are going to appear, I can be convinced to put my lower tune back in.

I hope to run all of the VIR events leading up to Nationals, although I am not happy about HyperFest on the schedule for VIR in May. Unlike past years, I probably will not run any Roebling or Road Atlanta events this year.

-Kevin Harvey

Yep.... ST2 is the plan. There were no ST3 racers in MA last season. Could be convinced to detune if there are a bunch, but as of right now I think ST2 will have the bigger field.

ST2 really is the "right" class for you guys, although I understand the reasoning for running ST3. It would be so great if all of the contenders could wind up in a single, large class! I'd be honored just to be mid-pack against a great bunch of racers, instead of trying to be on top of a podium with only a few cars.

Good luck to all this season! I'll be at as many east coast events as possible.

I'm not sure yet, as the car isn't finished yet. My original plan was to make a run at ST3 with smaller tires, no aero, and bigger HP, but looking at the modifiers, and doing the math, it looks like aero it is, and maybe big tires, though the car will be pretty light. I could tune for either ST2 or ST3 pretty easily.

This will mostly be a development season for me. Lots to dial in on the Goat powered 944.

I've got a new house, well more like a $ project coming up so ill likely miss things until mid year if that goes through. But I shudder to think of the cost of running 7.5 or even 7.0 if everyone jumps up to 2 and that changes. To think everyone fought for 3 and just because most of the pta's sold or left nobody shows. And certainly nobody wants to detune and go 'slower'

But I can always pray for rain again

ST2 is 8:1, not 7. If you run small tires you can be 7.7:1.

None of us begged for ST3... we were happy with PTA

Brian - I think he is referring to the request to bump ST2 to 7 or 7.5 to 1.

I'll be in ST3 in the Great Lakes region and I'll try to make at least one trip to VIR before the championships.

ST2 requires a built motor to be at the limit of the rules and I would rather spend my racing buget on seat time than building motors. If ST2 goes to 7.0-7.5 in 2016 than the price goes up to compete.

ST3 is a great class for those of us who like the open rules but also have a limited budget to play with. There are at least two ST3 builds in the Great Lakes that will be ready for the 2015 season so we should have decent numbers.

New guy here to the ST ranks!

Ill be running ST3 in the Great Lakes/Midwest region most likely. The plan will be to attend nationals, hoping to make it to VIR before then as well.

Great to hear about the ST builds in the ME/GL Region. Sounds like ST3 is growing. Ray Freundt has an ST3 LS1 944 for next year as well. Could be a good group starting here!

So we have 2 LS swapped 944's, a Corvette from last year, and what other cars are you guys building?

In case you all plan on doing a TT-supersize, I have a stock C5 coupe that I will continue to run in TT3 next year. Mid Atlantic is my home region but I plan on trying out Road Atlanta in March and Mid Ohio in June, and the NJMP-T events.

TT wise I think there's going to be a lot of 3 out there next year from what I've seen. Most of them are rightly paranoid and running cages/fire suits already, now we just need to get ya'll into comp school

So we have 2 LS swapped 944's, a Corvette from last year, and what other cars are you guys building?

Ill be running my Subaru that I've been competing in PTB with. A few upgrades, little bit more power and ill see how it works. It will definitely be a year experimenting though.

I'm detuning to ST2 this year for Midatlantic and NE. There is very little ST1 participation in MA but a decent amount in the NE. I barely ran any events in 2014 but hope make up for that in 2015 With nats at VIR.

John

#95 GMW

Good to hear everyone. I am hopeful the East Coast Nationals do for VIR what they did for Road Atlanta this past year.

I signed up to instruct my daughter in DE1 at Carolina Motorsports Park in SC next month and plan on shaking down my TT2 tune in advance of ST2 racing later in the year.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be in ST3 in the Great Lakes region and I'll try to make at least one trip to VIR before the championships.

ST2 requires a built motor to be at the limit of the rules and I would rather spend my racing buget on seat time than building motors. If ST2 goes to 7.0-7.5 in 2016 than the price goes up to compete.

ST3 is a great class for those of us who like the open rules but also have a limited budget to play with. There are at least two ST3 builds in the Great Lakes that will be ready for the 2015 season so we should have decent numbers.

Huh? I'm at 8:1 with ballast added and only 386 rwhp. I have a stock LS6 with stock heads and stock cam.

Huh? I'm at 8:1 with ballast added and only 386 rwhp. I have a stock LS6 with stock heads and stock cam.

Brian,

Go read the GTS thread.

Ziggy and I are of the same mindset, but I will run ST2 unless I see good numbers in ST3.

I've given up on arguing the flat horsepower curve thing. It's to my benefit when people disagree.

ST3 is looking good for Great Lakes/Mid West maybe you need to make a trip up north.

I've given up on arguing the flat horsepower curve thing. It's to my benefit when people disagree.

ST3 is looking good for Great Lakes/Mid West maybe you need to make a trip up north.

Most of us can't afford $20k motors, most of the guys who can afford them can't drive. Lets stop worrying about statistical outliers and just race. Once we have 5-10 regulars we can worry about the guy with the 427 stump puller. Even then I think that we're in the powerband to where a detuned car doesn't have much advantage. LS motor make pretty good torque anyway. It's not like the German cars that have none and then get walloped by a torque motor. Plus, it's more fun beating the guys with the expensive cars

• 2 weeks later...
TT wise I think there's going to be a lot of 3 out there next year from what I've seen. Most of them are rightly paranoid and running cages/fire suits already, now we just need to get ya'll into comp school

I don't know how many events I'll make, but it will finally be more than zero this year. Northeast/Mid-Atlantic TT3 C5Z, street car, street tires - you're welcome for the extra car count for contingency prizes.