ST1/2 waivers?

DanSTi

I have built a Subaru to compete with several different clubs but I would like to run it in ST1 or ST2 as well. Reading through the rules, it looks like there are a few rules that specifically make cars like the STI and Evo uncompetitive:

1) The inner fender mod rule. Subarus were not designed for road racing in the same way that a vette or viper was. If you lower them significantly from stock, you get an excessive, even dangerous amount of tire rub. The only safe and logical way around this is tubbing the front fender wells.

2) The subframe/suspension x-member rule. This one seems a bit arbitrary. You are allowed to change suspension mounting points in an (in my opinion) unsafe way by building adapter brackets but you can't change the rear crossmember to raise the inner pickup points? The only real advantage gained by changing the x-member, other than a very small weight difference, is moving the pickup points, which you are allowed to do anyway.

So my question is, is it possible to get waivers for things like this to make the car decently competitive? Or can I run the car but I have to take the non-production vehicle mod factor? It's already extremely difficult to compete with the vettes since they are blessed with a huge aero advantage and good suspension geometry/architecture. With the extra mod factor it may be next to impossible (unless I pray for rain every weekend ). I don't mean to bitch and whine; this is based on my past experience running a Subaru in TTS. The vettes were consistently 1-2 seconds faster and there was nothing I could do about it within the given rule set. I look around at ST1 and ST2 fields now and it looks like a spec corvette class in a lot of cases. I think opening up the rules a bit in specific areas would help get a wider variety of interesting cars into these classes. Thoughts?

I seriously doubt it since it's an "open" pw/wt class.

I've seen some seriously competitive Subaru's in the past so I take your comments a little bit of skepticism.

• National Staff

No waiver. It would take the Non-Production Mod Factor, which obviously would allow for a lot of different potential mods.

FYI, a BMW taking the Non-Prod. Mod Factor in ST3 was extremely fast at the Western States Champs this year.

This is like deja vu, read a tweaked version and see if it rings any bells. Be careful what you wish for.

---------

It's already extremely difficult to compete with the vettes since they are blessed with a huge aero advantage and good suspension geometry/architecture. With the extra mod factor it may be next to impossible (unless I pray for rain every weekend ). I don't mean to bitch and whine; this is based on my past experience running a Subaru in TTS. The vettes were consistently 1-2 seconds faster and there was nothing I could do about it within the given rule set. I look around at TTA fields now and it looks like a spec corvette class in a lot of cases. I think opening up the rules a bit in specific areas would help get a wider variety of interesting cars into this class. Thoughts?

No waiver. It would take the Non-Production Mod Factor, which obviously would allow for a lot of different potential mods.

FYI, a BMW taking the Non-Prod. Mod Factor in ST3 was extremely fast at the Western States Champs this year.

I'm ok with taking the mod factor and seeing how things go as long as I can still compete in ST2. I'm really hoping with the amount of work I've put into the car I can be competitive enough to win some races, but honestly my biggest concern is being able to mix it up in a class with good car counts.

Edited by Guest

Done deal... Dan I expect to see you at VIR in March.

It looks like the car will be ready barring any unforeseen circumstances. Although everything that can go wrong has so far, so I'm always cautiously optimistic. Either way I'll definitely be at summit in april.

This is like deja vu, read a tweaked version and see if it rings any bells. Be careful what you wish for.

---------

It's already extremely difficult to compete with the vettes since they are blessed with a huge aero advantage and good suspension geometry/architecture. With the extra mod factor it may be next to impossible (unless I pray for rain every weekend ). I don't mean to bitch and whine; this is based on my past experience running a Subaru in TTS. The vettes were consistently 1-2 seconds faster and there was nothing I could do about it within the given rule set. I look around at TTA fields now and it looks like a spec corvette class in a lot of cases. I think opening up the rules a bit in specific areas would help get a wider variety of interesting cars into this class. Thoughts?

Not exactly sure what you're getting at here. I've been racing in Spec E30 for the past few years so my finger hasn't exactly been on the pulse as to what's going on in the ST and upper TT classes.

• 4 weeks later...

What benefits are there to tubing other than being able to fit wider wheels?

OP - looks like you'll have to go widebody to get the wide tires on there.

What benefits are there to tubing other than being able to fit wider wheels?

OP - looks like you'll have to go widebody to get the wide tires on there.

The car actually does have a widebody to allow fitment of 295s. With stock fenders, about the widest you can go is 275 after a good amount of rolling/pulling. The tubbing is really to allow for a lower ride height. Subarus are designed to run pretty high and when you lower them a decent amount, you get a dangerous amount of rubbing on the inner fender wells. The only reason a lot of people tub them is to prevent tire rub. I have seen road race subarus that literally have holes worn clear through the steel inner fenders when they aren't tubbed.