Paddle-shift / semi-automatic transmission (D.1 vs D.4)

Steven Snyder

What is the difference between D.1 and D.4 with respect to a single-clutch manual transmission that has been converted to electronic paddle shifting?

From the 2015 TT Rules:

D. DRIVETRAIN:

1) Non-BTM sequential (semi-automatic) or dog-ring (non-synchromesh) transmission

(includes altered gear ratios) +7 (does not include automatic transmissions utilizing a

torque converter)

4) Added paddle/electronic shift +3

Example 1 - BMW E46 M3

For example, the BMW E46 M3 BTM transmission is a standard 6-speed manual synchromesh transmission. The "SMG" option is the exact same 6-speed manual synchromesh transmission with an electronic paddle shift controller. Would it be assessed D.4 (+3) or D.1 (+7)?

Example 2 - Custom modifications of BTM transmission

Another example; my V6 Fiero track car has the BTM 5-speed manual synchromesh transmission. If I make a shift mechanism to allow me to shift it with paddles, is it assessed D.4 or D.1?

Thoughts

From my interpretation of the rules, I think both of the above examples should be assessed D.4. The reason being the actual transmission itself is still the BTM transmission, it just has paddle shift added. D.1. is the "Non-BTM [sequential or dog-ring] transmission"... We are differentiating between the transmission and the shift mechanism being BTM or not.

Related question...

On a related note, I might add an electro-hydraulic or air-powered clutch to the Fiero along with the paddle shifters. I don't see this addressed anywhere in the rules... or is it covered by I.d.2 or I.d.1?

Edited by Guest

How i've known .7 is for those that actually going into a BTM syncro tranny and rebuild it with non-syncro or dog gears so they don't have to necc use a clutch to shift. The external shifting mechanics are the .3 like you said.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the difference between D.1 and D.4 with respect to a single-clutch manual transmission that has been converted to electronic paddle shifting?

From the 2015 TT Rules:

D. DRIVETRAIN:

1) Non-BTM sequential (semi-automatic) or dog-ring (non-synchromesh) transmission

(includes altered gear ratios) +7 (does not include automatic transmissions utilizing a

torque converter)

4) Added paddle/electronic shift +3

Example 1 - BMW E46 M3

For example, the BMW E46 M3 BTM transmission is a standard 6-speed manual synchromesh transmission. The "SMG" option is the exact same 6-speed manual synchromesh transmission with an electronic paddle shift controller. Would it be assessed D.4 (+3) or D.1 (+7)?

Example 2 - Custom modifications of BTM transmission

Another example; my V6 Fiero track car has the BTM 5-speed manual synchromesh transmission. If I make a shift mechanism to allow me to shift it with paddles, is it assessed D.4 or D.1?

Thoughts

From my interpretation of the rules, I think both of the above examples should be assessed D.4. The reason being the actual transmission itself is still the BTM transmission, it just has paddle shift added. D.1. is the "Non-BTM [sequential or dog-ring] transmission"... We are differentiating between the transmission and the shift mechanism being BTM or not.

Related question...

On a related note, I might add an electro-hydraulic or air-powered clutch to the Fiero along with the paddle shifters. I don't see this addressed anywhere in the rules... or is it covered by I.d.2 or I.d.10?

Responses are as follows:

Example 1: Meets the description of D4. Seems straightforward, no mystery here.

Example 2: Meets the description of D4. Seems straightforward, no mystery here.

Related question: Where is item I.d.10 in the 2015 rules? E-mail the National Director about performing this unlisted modification.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Related question: Where is item I.d.10 in the 2015 rules? E-mail the National Director about performing this unlisted modification.

Spurious "0" key pressed there.

I meant I.d.1.

Fixed.