Insurance for HPDE events

neel134

Does anybody know of any groups or companies which provide the least expensive or optimum insurance coverage for HPDE events.

I checked with my insurance company I am normally covered under, and they don't provide coverage for HPDE.

Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated.

Neel

Fred at Lockton was always great to deal with. I used them a lot when I was doing track days in the Viper, but never had to file a claim.

I got into the wall at RA once, but it was just body damage and I was able to find used parts already painted for less than the deductible. It used to 5%, but I think it's gone to 10% now.

I got into the wall at RA once, but it was just body damage and I was able to find used parts already painted for less than the deductible. It used to 5%, but I think it's gone to 10% now.

This is true - Lockton now offers two deductible options (10% and 15%), presumably with a reduced premium for the higher deductible.

Last year I looked into insurance for my car at Mid Ohio, but learned that you can only purchase a multi-event (6X) policy for any tracks in Ohio. I was recently in contact with Fred and learned that the Ohio restriction has been lifted and single event policies are now allowed. That's great news for us in OH!

• 2 weeks later...
I think that Nationwide still insures your car if it is "unmodified" and there is no timing involved, i.e. time trial or wheel to wheel.

I just talked to them this morning about this for coverage here in California, and they said they do not provide coverage if damage occurred while driving on a surface used for racing.

State Farm has similar exclusion in their policy here in CA (may differ by state).

I have a call into Farmers on this - the phone rep said she thought they would cover it, as long as it wasn't racing. Will post up when I hear back from her.

• 2 months later...

I looked into a few other companies and directly asked about covering HPDE events. None of these will cover you (just to add to the list):

- Allstate

- Progressive

- Safeco

It depends on what state you live in. If you live in Texas State Farm will cover an on track incident. Read the language of your policy (especially the exclusions). And for God's sake...DON'T ASK YOUR AGENT IF YOU ARE COVERED. You can read.

For my race car (STP) and trailer, I use Lockton Motorsports.

Was referred to a guy named Ben at theopentrack.com from a bunch of people at Rennlist. Spoke to them a month or so ago, their product is awesome and pricing seems pretty fair.

DON'T ASK YOUR AGENT IF YOU ARE COVERED. You can read.

I never expected to be covered by my auto insurance policy (USAA) but don't count on just pulling out your old policy if you've had the insurance a long time. My original policy, which was at least 20 years old, said nothing about track exclusions. The updates they mail out often have added exclusions, etc. I never read those. Trying to find the details of my policy online was next to impossible. When I crashed at VIR I gave it a shot and called USAA and told them exactly what happened, hoping for but not expecting coverage. When they did not get back to me for a week or so I called them to find out what was up. They explained that the policy was updated years ago to exclude any track related damage. When I asked what took them so long to get back to me if it was that cut-and-dried he said that since I had been a customer for over 30 years they sent a request for an exception all the way to the top only to have it nixed by legal. I thought it was very cool that they at least tried. There have been no negative repercussions. But USAA is a bit different.

In the past I've used Lockton but now that my (wrecked but repaired) car is worth less than $10k I don't bother.