Probly a newb question on Aero

Garage_Built

I am starting to put together a MR2 Spyder for TT (from my weight estimate + the unofficial calculator I will likely be maxed out in TTD). I have in my garage replica OEM lip kit. Am I able to run this with out taking additional points for aero or will I be hit on it as it is not the OEM? I know replica hard tops are allowed but after searching I can't seem to find an answer on the lip kit. OEM or replica for that matter, maybe my search skills suck idk.

I am starting to put together a MR2 Spyder for TT (from my weight estimate + the unofficial calculator I will likely be maxed out in TTD). I have in my garage replica OEM lip kit. Am I able to run this with out taking additional points for aero or will I be hit on it as it is not the OEM? I know replica hard tops are allowed but after searching I can't seem to find an answer on the lip kit. OEM or replica for that matter, maybe my search skills suck idk.

The acronym that matters isn't OEM, but BTM (base trim model). Refer to the TT rules and/or page 2 of the TTB-TTF classification forms.

If a particular part didn't come on the base trim model of your car as a non-option piece, then you take points, regardless of the manufacturer.

If a particular part did come on the base trim model of your car as a non-option piece, then you don't take points, regardless of the manufacturer. However, note that any non-OEM replica piece must exactly match the size, shape, profile, etc. (but not weight, unless stated otherwise in the rules) of the OEM BTM piece in order to avoid points.

Mark

Ok thank you. Then on to my next question, since the front lip is not a splitter I would just take the points for modified front face correct? Obviously I would take the hit on side skirts, but would I take the points on the rear lip since it is not actually a diffuser of any kind?

Ok thank you. Then on to my next question, since the front lip is not a splitter I would just take the points for modified front face correct?

Correct, if the part you are describing meets the requirements of TTB-TTF classification forms item G.1 and does not fall under G.2.

Obviously I would take the hit on side skirts, but would I take the points on the rear lip since it is not actually a diffuser of any kind?

Are you referring to a rear lip spoiler (see G.4) or the portion of the rear fascia that wraps around the sides of the car (which typically comes in side skirt add-on body kits), behind the wheels (see G.7)? It sounds like you are not describing a diffuser at this time, although the part you have cannot perform a secondary function as a diffuser if you want to avoid G.6 or G.8.

It would be helpful if you posted photos or links to the "lip kit" that you are trying to describe. I just watched an installation video on YouTube for a useless-looking "lip kit" that would take points for G.2.

FWIW, I'm not sure how much some of these things will be helpful for a TTD car. Some points may be better spent elsewhere. Or, if you want to experiment in a different direction, that's fine too.

Mark

FWIW, I'm not sure how much some of these things will be helpful for a TTD car. Some points may be better spent elsewhere. Or, if you want to experiment in a different direction, that's fine too.

Mark

This. I see this WAY too much from people that complain about their classing or getting out-gunned.

[i have a TTE Integra. I have zero aero of any kind. Why? Even on fast, high-speed tracks I'm not going fast enough to really make useful use of it. Besides, a clutch-type LSD and a stickier compound are nifty ways of keeping the car going the direction I want. ]

Ok thank you. Then on to my next question, since the front lip is not a splitter I would just take the points for modified front face correct?

Correct, if the part you are describing meets the requirements of TTB-TTF classification forms item G.1 and does not fall under G.2.

Previous guidance I was given was that a typical front "lip" spoiler counted as both a splitter and air dam (so COMPLETELY not worth the points). Has this changed?

Previous guidance I was given was that a typical front "lip" spoiler counted as both a splitter and air dam (so COMPLETELY not worth the points). Has this changed?

It depends on the shape of the “lip” spoiler / air dam / fascia / etc., and if it meets the description of both G.1 and G.2. If it meets both, then you get to take all of those points, no matter how effective of a modification you think it is (go big or don't go at all). If it only meets one or the other, then you only take the points for one of them. There is no “one size fits all” generalization for this particular modification.

Mark

What you are describing is almost certainly not worth the points hit. Leave the bling off and worry about Aero when you are ready to move to TT3, then do real Aero mods that your 9:1 weight/power ratio can make use of. Spend each point as if it were gold and make every point count. If you don't maximize every point and if every modification doesn't make the car faster then you will never have a front running car. No amount of aftermarket Aero will ever be worth the points in TTD!! Tires, Shocks, Weight in that order is all that really matters IMO...

Correct. What he is describing is not worth the points. Not a chance.

However, aero mods can be very very useful on a TTD car. Take my car for an example. Properly engineered and tested stuff.

and I won PTD at west Championships using only 16 points.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, I will not likely be running it then.

One more question though. The PDF of the TT rules I downloaded list the MR2 Spyder but do not mention years (produced from 00-05). They are all basically the same with little to no changes other than some minor cosmetics. Since years are not specified, Am I stuck to the 2002 front bumper or can I run the stock 03+ bumper with out taking the points for a modified front fascia?

Thanks for the advice, I will not likely be running it then.

One more question though. The PDF of the TT rules I downloaded list the MR2 Spyder but do not mention years (produced from 00-05). They are all basically the same with little to no changes other than some minor cosmetics. Since years are not specified, Am I stuck to the 2002 front bumper or can I run the stock 03+ bumper with out taking the points for a modified front fascia?

You can run any front bumper that was on the base trim model of the MR2 Spyder without points assessment since the years are not specified, they are all part of the same group. You just needed to keep reading the rules a little farther. Here is the explanation from the rules...

Excerpted...

"8.5 BTM (Base Trim Model) Definition, Updating and Backdating Rules...

...Updating of parts between different model years of the same vehicle model is legal provided that

the competing vehicle is both in the same model group listing (same line) in the Table in 8.2.2,

and in the same generation of that vehicle model, and that the entire assembly is replaced.

Backdating of parts between different model years of the same vehicle model is legal provided

that the competing vehicle is both in the same generation and is in the same or higher base class."

• 4 weeks later...

Another question I now have as I don't see any rule reguarding this directly. C.4 allows modification of front facia or hood to allow for air flow to the intake. However the MR2 Spyder is mid engined and it's air intake is actually from the side vent of the car. Would modification to this vent (via a cover to help funnel air in for example) be covered under this rule as well or is there another Aero rule on things of this nature? Not sure if this would be allowed or how to assess it if it even is.