BMW 135i Tire Fitment Feedback Needed - Pics Included

lonepatrone

Hello,

I need your input on the following tire fitment. Last year I ran a 245/35-18 Hoosier R6 on track with no rubbing problems. This year I purchased a set of Federal 595 RS-R tires in the same size, but they are 2" wider over a set of four tires. This equates to a .5" of additional tire width per tire or .25" per tire side. I will be able to provide just enough inner tire clearance between the tire and the damper with a 3mm spacer, but the outside tire edge will protrude an additional .368". The Hoosier set that I ran last year protruded .125". These tires will only be used for HPDE events. Car is a 2010 BMW 135i street driven second vehicle with no roll bar or cage.

Is the additional .368" beyond the front fender safe to run on track? I realize this is not an ideal set up as there is the potential for fender to tire contact given the tire's protrusion beyond the fender, but I did not experience any tire rub last year when the tire protruded .125" beyond the fender. I'm also aware that adding a 3mm spacer does increase the leverage and stress on the wheel bearing and front control arms, but I do not know if 3mm is enough to cause a safety concern. Pics below of the scenario. All feedback welcome. I tried the search button and lots of google research with limited success.

First pic is side shot of front tire with old 245/35-18 Hoosier R6

side%20shot%20of%20front%20hoosier%20extending%20beyond%20front%20tire.jpg

Second pic is head on shot of front tire and fender that shows the .125" tire protusion beyond front fender.

front%20tire%20extends%20beyond%20fender.jpg

Third pic is measured shot showing 2" of additional tire width on Federal 595 RS-R unmounted compared to Hoosier R6 mounted in exact same size of 245/35-18.

Federal%20vs%20Hoosier%20two%20inch%20measured.jpg

Fourth pic is side-by-side shot of Federal 595 RS-R unmounted compared to Hoosier R6 mounted. All tires are 245/35-18

Federal%20vs%20Hoosier%20two%20inch.jpg

WOW. I've heard the RS-R was "wide" for its size but that is wide.

Any chance of finding/getting 2mm spacers instead of 3mm?