Qualifying etiquette - Please stay on line

Cobra4B

Had a good lap botched by an AI car moving off line in Hog's Pen. I spoke to the gentleman in the paddock, but wanted to post the video in hopes others may learn. 2nd clip is attack of a CMC car... f'n CMC cars...

I appreciate all of the driving tips from fast Corvette drivers....when you can hustle a 3,400lb 260 HP car around VIR in the 2:12's maybe you too can drive in CMC. Publically "helping" an AI guy from the Northeast region on his first trip to VIR is really good of you as well busting on a CMC driver who could likely show you how to take four seconds off of your laps times (in your car of course). I do hope that VIR or NASA charged you for the safety cone!

David DeJarnette

#678 CMC

I appreciate all of the driving tips from fast Corvette drivers....when you can hustle a 3,400lb 260 HP car around VIR in the 2:12's maybe you too can drive in CMC. Publically "helping" an AI guy from the Northeast region on his first trip to VIR is really good of you as well busting on a CMC driver who could likely show you how to take four seconds off of your laps times (in your car of course). I do hope that VIR or NASA charged you for the safety cone!

David DeJarnette

#678 CMC

Not sure why you feel the need to attack my driving. Contrary to popular belief C5s aren't GTRs, they don't drive themselves. I could brag about my track records, but what's the point?

First visit to VIR or not, the guy made a poor move and ruined my qualifying lap causing me to have to start 2nd to an extremely close competitor when I could have had pole.

I know many of the CMC drivers.... I actually instructed Russ Carter a bunch... the guy who's won the last 5 CMC races this season. Not sure why them wheeling cheaper old cars makes it OK for them not to watch their mirrors?

I find it sad that you think it's funny that my car was damaged when it was easily avoidable. Would you feel the same way if I had lost it and crashed the car? I spent a bunch of hours in the garage fabricating the front end of my car and recently had it painted... now I have to make new close out panels and a new undertray... all because a guy didn't watch his mirrrors.

EDIT - for the record the "f'n CMC cars" comment, which I assume got you riled up, was just a joke.

11169509_10205637974739910_5585038061804479467_o.jpg

~Brian

• Members

Brian,

Other than some aluminum foil tape painted red for the splitter and a bit of enamel reducer to get the rubber marks off the nose, I don't see any damage I would repair. Remember these are race cars and should wear their patina with pride.

Brian,

Other than some aluminum foil tape painted red for the splitter and a bit of enamel reducer to get the rubber marks off the nose, I don't see any damage I would repair. Remember these are race cars and should wear their patina with pride.

The alumalite undertray (under the red splitter cover) is dented down and bowed pretty good across the entire passenger half. Going to have to try and flatten it out. The red part.... well that's what they make red tape for

Brian.......I understand that the Attack of the Mustangs vid was edited to be both slightly tongue in cheek and "educational" with a couple of "here's why" examples. It just struck me as a over-the-top post in another group's forum & the F'ng CMC cars comment didn't help. I don't wish you or your car any ill will and in a perfect world, no one would ever encounter anything but 100% heads-up driving. Whether a car is worth $10,000 or $150,000, we all take the same risks when we go out on the track and each car/driver combination deserves the same respect whether you are being overtaken or are the overtaking car. Look forward to meeting you at Summit ......in April I dogged Russ for about 40 laps, but only led one lap during the weekend (not the one that counted). DD

First I would like to welcome you to the world of mixed class racing, where races are won and lost due to traffic.

The AI car was qualifying as well and from what I was taught for mixed class racing, the slower car drives the normal line so the faster car can predictably plan their pass. The responsibility falls upon the faster/overtaking car.

Since the AI car was qualifying too, he too gets the right to the fast line around the track, it would not be right to make the slower class cars get out of your way (and lose their qually time in the process). Next time try to start your qually lap with no traffic in front of you, or be in the slower class and you don't have to worry about this.

While in a race, the same applies for the faster class overtaking the slower class, and if the slower class car is not battling for position they can lift while in the straight as to make the pass easier for the faster class car, but still need to drive typical line.

The pass on the CMC car could have have happened on the left side, while anticipating the driver would be taking the normal line through that corner. We could debate that the driver could have left room for you to pass because it appeared the driver was not fighting for position, but I always plan with them taking the normal line.

There's nothing worse than not knowing where and when to pass a driver who may or may not be watching their mirrors. That's why I go for the pass in a predictable spot.

I hope this sheds some light on mixed class passing.

Brian is no rookie and actually a hell of an instructor. The AI car was not running race pace and the line should have carried him out track left.......for some reason that driver was not in the throttle and was center track. Very hard to predict what a driver is going to do when he's NOT running the fast line. Did it warrant this thread , probably not but that's Brian's perogative.

I also run CMC and know the driver that's mentioned here. Normally a solid driver who had a bad car that day which likely caused him to loose focus on what was going on around him. No excuse, he should have seen the faster car since the lead cars had just started passing through.

First I would like to welcome you to the world of mixed class racing, where races are won and lost due to traffic.

The AI car was qualifying as well and from what I was taught for mixed class racing, the slower car drives the normal line so the faster car can predictably plan their pass. The responsibility falls upon the faster/overtaking car.

Since the AI car was qualifying too, he too gets the right to the fast line around the track, it would not be right to make the slower class cars get out of your way (and lose their qually time in the process). Next time try to start your qually lap with no traffic in front of you, or be in the slower class and you don't have to worry about this.

While in a race, the same applies for the faster class overtaking the slower class, and if the slower class car is not battling for position they can lift while in the straight as to make the pass easier for the faster class car, but still need to drive typical line.

The pass on the CMC car could have have happened on the left side, while anticipating the driver would be taking the normal line through that corner. We could debate that the driver could have left room for you to pass because it appeared the driver was not fighting for position, but I always plan with them taking the normal line.

There's nothing worse than not knowing where and when to pass a driver who may or may not be watching their mirrors. That's why I go for the pass in a predictable spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy.... I started qualifying in the first spot. I caught this guy on our 2nd lap. You are correct that the slower car drives the line and the faster car has the responsibility to pass. The AI car in question did not stay on line. Had he stayed on line there would have been no issue. He got out of it and moved mid-track.

Again... if you watch the video you'll see that I waited watching for the CMC driver to figure it out. He stayed out left for quite a while to where I made the decision to pass on the right. I was in a heated battle with the first place car and couldn't wait any longer. I was clearly in his mirror and it would have been simple for him to not cut me off at the kink.

I'm not new to any of this.

Did it warrant this thread , probably not but that's Brian's perogative.

I didn't call anyone out by name... just posted the videos If it makes someone else think twice then it's worth it.