Tech

cagedoutcrx

Hi,

My name is John. I'm wondering if i can get my car teched at the track on days there are an event but im not racing? Im new to this and will be in HPDE1 class.

Thank's

Welcome. HPDE is not racing Need more info about what you're trying to do. HPDE tech at the track is typically only for cars that are entered at that event. Are you looking for a second opinion on something safety related for later? Best to check with the tech chief for the region in question. Where are you located, when/where is your first NASA event? Thanks & hope it helps,

Welcome. HPDE is not racing Need more info about what you're trying to do. HPDE tech at the track is typically only for cars that are entered at that event. Are you looking for a second opinion on something safety related for later? Best to check with the tech chief for the region in question. Where are you located, when/where is your first NASA event? Thanks & hope it helps,

I just mainly want to know whats needed to tech and how to do it. Im located in Northern California. The next event is the 21st, however not sure i will make it as im still putting the car together.

Absolutely, HPDE1 is where we all started! It is, literally, how NASA trains people to race - it's a ladder system, and that's the bottom step, starting with a street car. I didn't mean it in a negative way, only to demonstrate that the safety rules are different for a reason. Seat time and experience and training are what will make a car go faster, which is why mostly stock Miatas in a race group are typically turning much faster lap times than Ferraris are in HPDE1... go to your nearest event and see what I mean

Hi,

My name is John. I'm wondering if i can get my car teched at the track on days there are an event but im not racing? Im new to this and will be in HPDE1 class. Thank's

If you can, print out the HPDE tech sheet mentioned in the posts above, and if you have time, get the car tech'd before the event, instead of trying to get it done at the event. Try checking with a shop on the http://nasanorcal.com/index.php?/site/section_info_tech list, and ask if they will do HPDE tech. When I was doing HPDE events in Norcal, the local shops usually did not charge, and the tech was pretty quick. Hopefully you have some good brake pads and fairly fresh brake fluid - if the brake fluid is over a few years old, it wouldn't hurt to fully change out the fluid and bleed it thru to each wheel.

PS - you mentioned that your car is fully caged. Hopefully, you have similar seats and harnesses for the driver and passenger as you will have an instructor in HPDE-1. Note that 4pt harnesses (other than some Shroth) aren't usually allowed, so hopefully you have the OEM seatbelt system, or 5/6/7 point harnesses. Also, in Norcal, some of the instructors will drive during the HPDE-4 sessions, so if you hang out near the instructor area with your helmet 5-10' before the HPDE-4 session, they might take you along as a passenger so you will get a feel for the track at pretty high speeds, but you would just need to make sure that the HPDE-4 session isn't right before your HPDE-1 session. Anyway, have fun out there!! - Jim

Hi,

My name is John. I'm wondering if i can get my car teched at the track on days there are an event but im not racing? Im new to this and will be in HPDE1 class. Thank's

If you can, print out the HPDE tech sheet mentioned in the posts above, and if you have time, get the car tech'd before the event, instead of trying to get it done at the event. Try checking with a shop on the http://nasanorcal.com/index.php?/site/section_info_tech list, and ask if they will do HPDE tech. When I was doing HPDE events in Norcal, the local shops usually did not charge, and the tech was pretty quick. Hopefully you have some good brake pads and fairly fresh brake fluid - if the brake fluid is over a few years old, it wouldn't hurt to fully change out the fluid and bleed it thru to each wheel.

PS - you mentioned that your car is fully caged. Hopefully, you have similar seats and harnesses for the driver and passenger as you will have an instructor in HPDE-1. Note that 4pt harnesses (other than some Shroth) aren't usually allowed, so hopefully you have the OEM seatbelt system, or 5/6/7 point harnesses. Also, in Norcal, some of the instructors will drive during the HPDE-4 sessions, so if you hang out near the instructor area with your helmet 5-10' before the HPDE-4 session, they might take you along as a passenger so you will get a feel for the track at pretty high speeds, but you would just need to make sure that the HPDE-4 session isn't right before your HPDE-1 session. Anyway, have fun out there!! - Jim

I have matching Sparco seats passenger and driver. Also have Crow 4 point harnesses, are those not legal? The date is less then a year old. Please school me before i waste fuel money to go race and be declined in tech.

4-point harnesses are not ideal and typically do not pass technical inspection unless they are ASM (Anti-Submarining Mechanism).

If you do not know what ASM is or what it does:

Yes, because HPDE is not racing. Cage and any other safety stuff (seat, harness, etc) should conform to the rules in the CCR though: https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

4-point harnesses are not ideal and typically do not pass technical inspection unless they are ASM (Anti-Submarining Mechanism). If you do not know what ASM is or what it does:

I have matching Sparco seats passenger and driver. Also have Crow 4 point harnesses, are those not legal? The date is less then a year old. Please school me before i waste fuel money to go race and be declined in tech.

As getfast mentioned, https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/282/2015.3.pdf has the info you need to look at. It looks like section 11.3 paragraph 2, 11.4.8, and 15.5 (for 5/6/7 pt harness) are what you need to look at to figure out if your 4 pt harnesses will be legal. If your seats have cutouts for a anti submarine belt, then you may as well get a 5 or 6 pts harness if your 4 pt harnesses aren’t ASM like ILIKETODRIVE mentioned. If your seats have holes for the anti submarine belt, and your 4pt harnesses aren't acceptable (ASM etc. per the rules), then one option is that I’ve got two expired 5 pt harness in good shape (one for my passenger seat and one as a spare in my trailer) that you could borrow for the weekend (I’m in Sunnyvale 94087).

PS – in HPDE, you really aren’t racing, but as I understand it, are learning to drive faster and faster with other cars on track while also picking up info from the flaggers. I thought that I was a really good driver, but the instructors pointed out various issues in HPDE-1, so don’t be in a giant hurry to get signed off the first day from HPDE-1 to HPDE-2, as one instructor might pick up on an issue that another instructor missed. If you do intend to actually go into the race group, then let your instructors know. - Jim