Re-classing

gjkasten

It is entirely possible that I am wrong in my understanding, but why are cars that have the stock motor being allowed to re-class based on stripping weight out?

I thought the purpose of the re-class was to accommodate "franken cars" where you stuff a V8 into a Miata. Stripping weight from a car that has a stock or even a modified motor (add a turbo) is already accommodated in the rules with points and maximum wt/hp ratios.

I will admit that I don't totally understand what is looked at with respect to re-classing, hence the reason for the question.

You can request a dyno reclass for several reasons (read the entirety of 2015 TT rules section 8.4.1). If you have a car that takes a ton of points for weight reduction, then maybe a dyno reclass could help your resultant base class (although this isn't common, and I'm not sure why anybody would request this, but there might be a good reason out there somewhere). It's more common that, if you have a car that is significantly heavier than the listed base weight because you like your speaker box with Kicker 12s and DVD players in the headrests and other heavy bits, then a dyno reclass would definitely help your resultant base class. Also, if you have a bunch of points-based engine modifications that cost a ton of points but don't result in a significant power gain, a dyno reclass could help you.

Car make/model, minimum competition weight, and dyno-verified horsepower are used to determine base classing and dyno reclassing. You will never know Colonel Greenbaum's recipe of 11 secret herbs and spices that is used to determine classing/reclassing, so it's not useful to try to guess at it. Trust the benevolent dictatorship.

Mark