Legal cage?

tbruen01

So I was going through the Rule book (Club codes & Regulations) trying to determine if this car I am looking at this weekend actually had a legal cage or not. They state that the cage is legal for NASA but I wanted to make sure before I purchase something and find out it has to be replaced.

I understand the basic design of the cage and how it should be set up, but can you have the cross bar behind the driver curve to create more room for a seat?

15.6.12 states that you need 2 bars for side impact. Can the two bars be parallel of each other or do they have to cross/connect at some point?

Thanks,

Tyler

That looks like a modified weld-in Autopower or Kirk Racing cage.

Some larger pictures and more close-up pictures would help.

Also would need to know how thick the base plates are and size/thickness of the tubing. Also would need to confirm it is DOM and not ERW.

Knowledge of if it has a logbook, when the logbook was obtained, and when it was last inspected to be raced would also help...

I don't spy any red flags from those 3 pictures, but a more thorough in person inspection by an actual tech inspector may turn up something I'm not noticing.

NASA requires 2 bars, either independent or an X style. It doesn't specify anything else. Some classes have restrictions regarding extra connection points, but as long as the driver has 2 bars, you are fine z. Wedged plates must be 0.080", bolted 3/16" thick. GCR is pretty clear, and pretty reasonable