Experience towing enclosed trailer with 6.2L Chevy/Cadillac?

Keith

I currently have a 2004 Suburban with the 8.1L big block. It tows my enclosed trailer like it's not there. There is nothing wrong with it and it still is in very good shape but my wife is tired of this being her daily driver because it is too big for her. At about 10-11mpg, it is also a bit impractical to drive my 80 mile roundtrip to work (though I haven't ruled it out if I can't find an acceptable replacement). In short, the wife needs a new vehicle and I am looking to appease her while also getting a vehicle that can tow my rig.

My wife says she wants to go back to what we had before - a Tahoe or similar. I had to sell the Tahoe because it had the 5.3L engine and when I moved from an open trailer to an enclosed trailer, the 5.3L just couldn't do it.

I have learned that the 2007-2010 Escalade and the 2008-2009 Tahoe LTZ were available with the 6.2L engine. It seems that the 08-09 Tahoe LTZ with the optional 6.2 is about as rare as bigfoot but the 2007-2010 Escalades mostly have this engine, when I decode the VINs on for sale listings.

Now back to my question - my trailer weighs about 4,500lbs, my car weighs about 3,000 and I'd guess I have 200-300lbs of gear. This weight puts me right around the published towing capacity for these vehicles. I'd hate to pull the trigger on one of these and learn that the vehicle can't tow my setup.

Anyone have experience towing an enclosed trailer with an Escalade/Tahoe (or even Suburban) with the 6.2L motor? If so, are you willing to share your experience?

Thanks

We had a 2003 3/4 burb but with the 6.0. Hauled a 10,500 lb boat all over the place with it without issue. Bought a bigger boat, and bought a dually. However, we also replaced that burb for a Denali burb with the 6.2 as my wife's daily driver (she loves it). I occassionally haul our 4,000 lbs boat with the Denali and while it hauls fine, you can feel the burb being wagged around whereas the 3/4 did fine with less weight.

IMO.....the problem isn't the power, it's the rigidity of the chassis that is going to disappoint you.

Also, a competitor hauls a 24ft enclosed with a 3,100 lb mustang in it behind an older Denali with the 6.0. That poor truck looks like the bumper is going to drag the ground

It's not necessarily the engine I'd worry about with enclosed, it's chassis. 3/4ton or equivalent. 5-figure tow rating.

Sounds like you should maybe get her a small car or whatever will make her happy and *you* drive the bigass truck your race trailer requires maybe?

Another option is to go get an aluminum trailer of tidy dimensions, and cut about a ton off of what you are towing. I recently picked up a 20 foot aluminum trailer that weighs 2,500lbs for about $8,500 new. The newer Durangos (based on the old M-B GL chassis) are pretty nice, and tow well. The are rated for 7,400lbs, and have bigger/better brakes and much better handling/chassis feel than the GM models. The Hemi is a beautiful thing, if thirsty. I wish they put the 3.0L diesel from the Jeep GC in them. Overall though, one of the better do-it-all options. My wife is pretty happy driving the Durango daily, and I've towed with it for 3 years, including a few panic maneuvers with the trailer attached (avoiding a guy chasing his dog across the expressway comes to mind). I probably drive it a 3rd of the time, and it's pleasant - it's German roots show through in the driving experience.