2016 Rules proposal - Toyo RR tire mod factor

johngeorge

Toyo rr tire is classified in the same category as Hoosier A7 tires. We all know the Toyo rr performance is no where near Hoosiers A7, 2sec/lap slower from my experience.

Proposal: add an additional +.xxx to anyone running Toyo rr following the same sizing formula now.

Toyo rr tire is classified in the same category as Hoosier A7 tires. We all know the Toyo rr performance is no where near Hoosiers A7, 2sec/lap slower from my experience.

Proposal: add an additional +.xxx to anyone running Toyo rr following the same sizing formula now.

I've always thought there should be a DOT tire split; A-compounds taking a slight hit to PTW or 100+ treadwear tires getting a slight bump.

• Members

Different tires affect different cars differently. Making a blanket statement that tire A is 2 seconds faster than tire B cannot be accurate across the board. Therefor trying to come up with a .xxx penalty for similar tire types is nearly impossible and will only cause a LOT of complaints. There are some things in the ST class that need to be accepted, for example if a Hoosier A7 is faster than a Toyo RR, then run a Hoosier A7.

That is just my opinion obviously.

I personally ran R7's this last season, but I will be making the switch to A7's for 2016, because they are faster.

• Members
I was only referring to toyo rr as a tire (no other brands) because Toyo is the official tire of NASA.

That is true, but it is not the official tire of every NASA class. NASA does a great job in my opinion of having a great partner like Toyo involved in a lot of NASA series without playing favorites. From what I understand Toyo makes a full slick called the RS1 and it is supposed to be very quick. If you want to run a Toyo in a fast, non spec tire class like ST, then that is probably your best bet.

I've raced on the Toyo RS1 slick. As is typical with Toyo, the tire lasts long and is slow to the same degree. In this case a RS1 is as fast as a fast DOT, but not competitive against other slicks. I have a good older set that I use for shakedown laps.

• National Staff

Guys, we are not adding any other Mod Factors for tires in ST1-ST3.

These types of proposals may be appropriate for the potential lower ST classes in the future, though.