CLOSED 2016 Rules Change - Limit Aero in GTS 1

Michael G.

• Members

Proposed change

Limit Aero in GTS 1 class to the OEM or similar (aftermarket replicas allowed). Front spoilers / air dams permitted as long as they do not protrude forward of the overall outline of the body. Sp[litters are not allowed. Trunk lid spoiler (lip) permitted.

Reason

Due to the limited benefits of the aero packages in the class with the lowest HP/weight ratio the rule will help to contain the cost and will allow easier transition / crossover of the similar cars from other clubs / sanctioning bodies.

Proposed wording

All GTS 1 cars are allowed to utilize OEM spoilers, wings, skirts, etc. No aftermarket aerodynamic devices are allowed in GTS 1. OEM is defined for the purpose of this rule as any aerodynamic device originally available on a particular brand and model of car. Parts may be fixed and matched from any car sold via a manufacturers dealer network. Specifically not allowed are the use of wings or spoilers from homologation cars such as the E30 and E36 M3's or Porsche 911 racing cars These cars are but a few examples of manufacturer homologation cars whose aerodynamics are not allowed.

Edited by Guest

Absolutely, unequivocally NO.

There isn't any aero on any GTS1 car that I know of that isn't easily removable if you want to race the race in another class anyways, so there's little reason for this change. I think it would also give a significant advantage to those few cars that have either naturally slippery bodies or decent factory aero at the expense of cars that have already been built to the previous open specification.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be huge benefit to running aero (at least at the tracks where I race, which is why I don't usually run it anymore) due to the low power. However, I don't see any good reason to make GTS1 a different ruleset than the rest of the class, and i'm not aware of any sort of research and development war for GTS1 aero.

Edited by Guest

The "limited benefits of the aero packages in the class" are the best reason to say "NO!" to the proposed rules change to ban them.

If aero has limited benefits, why regulate it at all? KISS, people.

Cheers,

-jerry

GTS3

Western Region

No.

In Norcal we have this stupid thing called "supersizing". Where, for less than half the regular entry fees, SE30 and SM guys can come into our race group (GTS1 and PTE) and treat our race and qual as bonus cheap practice sessions, driving around at a glacial pace and generally screwing everything up for us. No way in the world should we make supersizing more attractive to the SE30 cars!

Against this rule proposal as well. Because GTS is a hp/weight series, each driver/owner in every class should have the right to play with aero and determine whether it's beneficial for them. If they want to spend money on a giant wing that does nothing, that's their prerogative. It'll be proven effective or not on race day.

So I would vote yes for this.

I'm a guy who ran several years in GTS1, added the first rear wing in GTS1 and ultimately spent hours and hours developing splitters, deflectors, an undertray etc. won a lot, and set a bunch of track records.

Why yes then?

We built a huge class of 15+ cars in GTS1 in Great Lakes at the high point by attracting all the potential cars we could get to join, many from PCA. Unfortunately, many of them who hadn't run in GTS in a few years quickly learned their cars were way underdeveloped to be competitive. It was not just an aero thing, it was remote reservoir shocks, short gears, custom tuning, widening etc. I was even deep in figuring out how to install a sequential transmission in a 30yo Porsche.

So the class died. Today GL Region has zero GTS1 cars. The barriers to competitive entry were now very high. Now I know that is part of the spirit of GTS, but I don't think it fits in with the 30yo cars running in the class, GTS 4 or 5 is a different story. It doesn't make sense to start with a $1000 car and spend $50k+ to be competitive. Also, it is only a matter of time before someone spends real money on Aero, wind tunnel development etc. and carries it to the next step.

My $.02

I have to vote no bc it violates the core principals of GTS..... BUT

If GTS1 is the budget friendly entry to racing, the limit kind of makes sense. But I think it would probably need to go even further with a limit on suspension to non-remote etc. This would be in the general idea that people who do get hooked and further develop their car would be sliding up to GTS2. This would give people the general idea that they can cheaply put together a competitive car for GTS1 to get into racing.

If this would bring in more cars who eventually evolve to GTS2 etc it could be a long term good idea. This would be at the detriment of current GTS1 cars who have developed past the newly established "limit." GTS1 is fairly weak in my region. Usually 0-3 cars. So for the current racers, if this could potentially bring in more cars would it be worth it? But then again, are there really people out there who want to come racing that wouldn't want to throw on some aero and a suspension anyway? Hard to dictate if this change would actually bring in more racers. I think it would be a good idea to get a survey of people outside of GTS with GTS1 eligible cars and find out their top reason for not coming. There's often the argument that there's all these PCA cars out there who could join. But the reality is a lot of PCA guys only want to race with PCA (I happen to know a few personally with this opinion). And if that's the case, messing around with the rules won't change that.

Lawrence Gibson

Mid-Atlantic

GTS2

This would be in the general idea that people who do get hooked and further develop their car would be sliding up to GTS2.
Wouldn't this make it more complicated to move up since they need to add power/lose weight in addition to adding/learning aero and suspension enhancements? We all know that most GTS 3 cars are faster than GTS4 and some GTS2 cars are faster than GTS3. Wouldn't it be more encouraging to a GTS1 driver to move up if they are faster than GTS2? Removing aero, adjustable dampers, etc., to GTS1 would make that FAR less likely.

K.I.S.S.

No.

As a GTS 1 driver for more than 5 years I have made aero changes during that period which have consumed time and effort. While I agree that the aero improvements I have made have likely had little benefit, I don’t believe I should have to give up the small gains I’ve achieved in an effort to accommodate others who may wish to jump in and out of GTS1 at their leisure. As others have already stated, if someone wants to come into GTS1 without aero and they truly believe that GTS1 aero has little benefit in this class then come as you are. I don’t think it is fair to impose your class’s aero ban on me when I’ve been operating under the current rules which have no limits on aero.