Need Help With Wheel & Tire Size Selection!

PEP Racing

I have a1998 Volvo V70 Turbo and i'm ready to get a set of track wheels and tires. I have 17 inch wheels selected for now (if that's the best way to go) but could use some input on whitch tires to get. My street tires are NITTO NT-555 Extreme 225/40ZR 17s. I noticed some of the other cars are running taller track tires in 50/55/60 series. I also notice that most of the serious track tires don't even come in 35/40 series. I have the stock 15 inch aluminum wheels still and could go that route as well. What would be the best set-up for track use. Any help some of you more experienced guys could provide would be great. I'll be back at Infineon on 11/23...I can't wait!

Thanks,

Phil

• Members

being as you are not doing any racing, and are just learning how to drive the car, use the 15's and put a set of 225/50/15 Toyo RA-1's on there. http://www.treadepot.com is an option for picking them up, but there are other places online and locally as well.

Have a great time at infineon and remember that if you are doing full course brake between 7 and 7a not before 7. enjoy.

J

Thanks for the info. So, you think the 15's is a better choice than the 17's for wheel & tire size. What are the advantages of this set-up? Also, could you give me more details about the braking after turn 7 into 7A?

Thanks Again,

Phil

there are several pros and cons to running either tire size. The 15" are car to be cheaper. Rims are cheaper and so are the tires, not to mention the 15" are usually lighter too.

With the 17" and ultra low profile, you would get better ultimate grip and the expense of stability at the limit (from my experience)

BrianZ,

Could you be more detailed on the pros and cons of the 15" vs. 17" wheels and tires?

Thanks,

Phil

well.. the 15" tires will be cheaper, and usually lighter. those are usually the deciding factors. You are less likely to bend a 15" rim with a taller tire than a 17" with a ultra low profile tire. The 17" will give you a bit more grip at the limit, but when they let go... they let go.. O.. the 17" will have quicker steering response too.. this is from my experience. if you want more detail, PM or Email me..