New but not really...

leolo007

Hello all, new to the forum, new to Honda Challenge, new to NASA and it's been over 10 years since I sold my B18C powered EG hatch that I autoXed, so new racing?

Regret having done that to this day.

A friend got me hooked on racing again. I want to do HC but it's been so long since I was "in the scene" that I don't know where to start.

Things have changed, specially the intro of K series engines, and the price of cars that used to be out of reach for me are now cheap, like 99 Civic Si.

So my question may offend some, and you will say why don't you do a search, there are a million threads on this topic.

But I have the need to feel special, so I started my own thread.

So my question. What's a good base car to start with nowadays?

My initial budget is $3-5k. I don't plan to rave HC this year with that budget of course, that's the price to buy a base car.

I've seen RSX type S (with high mileage) that fit my budget, so possibilities are endless.

I know I should just pic a car I like, but I want to hear your opinions and why you select that car. I see a lot of EP3 Civic Si for sale, but don't see much at the track...

Btw I'm in the NE region. I'm looking at cars in VA since they tend to be a bit more rust free than up here

Thanks all!!

So my question. What's a good base car to start with nowadays?

My initial budget is $3-5k. I don't plan to rave HC this year with that budget of course, that's the price to buy a base car.

I've seen RSX type S (with high mileage) that fit my budget, so possibilities are endless.

I know I should just pic a car I like, but I want to hear your opinions and why you select that car. I see a lot of EP3 Civic Si for sale, but don't see much at the track... Thanks all!!

From what I've read, an EG or EK Civic, or an Integra would all be better choices than the RSX or EP3 Civic. I've seen people mention issues with the suspension (geometry and components) on the RSX, and to me, the EP3 Civic just looks really tall for a racecar. For suspension, I believe that for the stock EG or Integra, that you'll be able to get spherical bushings/bearings (including for the compliance bushing in the front suspension - like from Kingpin Machine), but for the EK, that bushing is hard to find in a spherical, so I've heard of some people swapping in an EG front subframe in an EK, or just getting the spherical bushings made. I'm not sure if you'll want to go with a B series or a K series engine, but that also depends on what Honda Challenge series class you're thinking of going in (H1, H2 or H4 seem to be the common ones). It sounds like you'll start with a pretty basic fairly stock car, or maybe a fully built racecar (like an H4 car), and work your way thru HPDE and then TT and then get into the race group. If you buy a used already built racecar, then make sure to fully examine the rollcage including the welds, and if you're not sure about how to do that, then get an inspector to take a look. You probably can find a built Honda Challenge H4 racecar for around $4-5K.

You might want to take a look and see how many people run Honda Challenge in your area, and for those that do run, what class (H1, H2, or H4) they run in. It also may be possible that some people might switch into Super Touring like the new ST4 class (or ST5 or ST6?) that they're creating/mentioning. The rule sets allow different things (like a H1 car vs H2 vs H4 vs ST3 vs ST4 etc.), so check the rules before you make many modifications once you get closer to joining a race group.

I'm not sure how much of a response you'll get on this forum, but I suggest also posting something on the Honda Challenge Facebook webpage at https://www.facebook.com/groups/218610698225711/. - Jim

If you are in the NE Region, reach out to Spencer Anderson. The NE has a good run group of H2 cars but in the Southeast we usually have more H1 cars. The Mid Atlantic region has a good mix of both. Which car is best all depends on who is at the wheel. Sure some models have better options for suspension but when a driver of a 1990 Accord with an H22 motor rolls the H2 field at the East Coast Championships held at Road Atlanta in 2014, it tells me Honda Challenge H2 is about driver and setting up a race car. As for H1, you have more options to build a car but it's hard to outrun the K20/24 no matter what base car you are in.

If you buy a Honda/Acura you might as well run it with everyone in Honda Challenge. There is talk of a ST4 class next year based on HP-WT but that is where you will run against all years, makes and models. Basically they are just changing the PT class over to ST with easier to monitor rules. Well, that is my opinion and how I see it, others may see it differently.

Good luck with your decision and come see us at the track.

Rob

Thanks guys for your responses, very useful information! I did get to meet Spencer at an event, didn't really talk to him but a friend of mine knows him well and has gotten some information from him for me.

Good morning, my name is Michael and I am a NE HC racer. Yes, Spencer, our NE Series director is the man to talk to. For the record, his EG hatch has probably the lowest HP in our region but is hands down the most consistent and fastest. I run an Integra powered by a CTR 1.6. The RSX, IMO, is not a good choice for H2. Find a clean GS-R or pick up an EG and start there.