HPDE tech on-site, morning of

stephenkirsh

I'm having a rough time finding any shops to do a free NASA inspection right now. I heard rumor that NASA charges $30 for the inspection the morning of.

Is that accurate?

• National Staff
I'm having a rough time finding any shops to do a free NASA inspection right now. I heard rumor that NASA charges $30 for the inspection the morning of.

Is that accurate?

Send an e-mail to the Region to ask. I think it used to be $50 in one region. It is free in other regions.

Got a response from Scott @ NorCal saying he thinks it's $40. And that any ASE certified mechanic can perform the service.

I just took a look at the Nasa Norcal site, and they have the current HPDE inspection shops listed at http://nasanorcal.com/hpde-tech-inspection-shops/. Did you try most of those closest to you? That list seems to be shorter than I remember, but I don't believe that they would charge for the inspection, but you can ask if there is a charge when you call them. When I was getting my car inspected for HPDE, the inspection was pretty quick - say 10' or less, and I usually would take a blank tech inspection form just in case they didn't have copies ready to go. - Jim