Power needed to be competetive in TTE?

Tippyman

I'm planning a 91 Civic build for TTE. The car starts out in TTF, but there is never anyone racing in TTF, (first place every time, yay ) plus with the mods/tires I want it'll bump me to TTE. (I've got it figured out to exactly 39 points.)

My question is, even with mild engine mods and a retune, not sure how much power an engine that had 106hp from the factory is ever going to put out. After watching a few videos I see there are Miata's and 145hp Integra's running TTE. Granted I'll be lighter, but my home track (VIR) has some long straights.

Any thoughts?

You'll have to take the minimum weight of your car, run the numbers through the adjusted power to weight ratio, look at the adjusted P/W cap for TTE, then you'll know how much power you need to be at the cap. To be nationally competitive you'll have to be at that cap. I'm guessing it will be about 135WHP to be maxed out but I don't know your specific model. You'll have to use the second tab of the class excel configurator to figure that out.

Agreed with the above.

Without knowing your weight, we can't say. If it's a 91 SI at full factory weight of 2291, you would need 146 when you figure in the FWD and DOT tire modifier. At 2200, it would be 139. That said, it's not all about the HP at every track. Yes, VIR is an HP track, but you shouldn't build a car for one track.

My advise, spend the $$ on suspension first. Add an LSD to the trans, and then spend the rest of the points on weight and power. Even tire choice plays into it. The formula for that car is well known. I would talk to Sam Myers about where to spend your points. He knows that car well.

I have the car figured out at full weight right now. Before I started planning to run TT I already bought/installed spherical bushings and big brakes, so that's 5 points that I feel I kinda "wasted." I figured in LSD, coilovers, sway bar, adjustable front balljoints, 11 points worth of tires, and 11 points worth of engine. (Header, exhaust, and cam) I'm at exactly 39 points witht no weight reduction. So at full weight I'd need to make, like you said, 146 hp. That's with a stock (internally) d series. Ain't gonna happen.

Does anyone know if I can swap in a 130hp B series engine and remain in TTE? I don't know how much suspension I would be allowed to do if I re classed it based on a swap/dyno.

The formula for that car is well known. I would talk to Sam Myers about where to spend your points. He knows that car well.

Do you have an email or username I could send a message to? I think I need to pick someone's brain lol.

• National Staff
The formula for that car is well known. I would talk to Sam Myers about where to spend your points. He knows that car well.

Do you have an email or username I could send a message to? I think I need to pick someone's brain lol.

http://nasagreatlakes.com/ContactUs.aspx

Go to competition series leaders

Out of curiosity what times were you running in TTF setup at VIR.

I and working my way through hpde and was planning a TTF build for next year.

Out of curiosity what times were you running in TTF setup at VIR.

I and working my way through hpde and was planning a TTF build for next year.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was already running in TTF before. I meant that the car's base class starts out in TTF and my upgrades would bump it to TTE. The car isn't even built yet.

I have the car figured out at full weight right now. Before I started planning to run TT I already bought/installed spherical bushings and big brakes, so that's 5 points that I feel I kinda "wasted."
Classic mistake.

A little advise. You may want to look for an already built car. Unless you have deep pockets, you can buy an already built fast car for around .50 on a dollar or less. I know, I know, building your own car is "fun", but I have seen it time, and time again where people have lots of fun building a car, to only have no money left to drive it. Think about all the time and money you have already put into your car, then figure out how much you could sell it for.

Just a thought, TMMV

• 3 weeks later...

My integra runs ~2'16.X" sometimes 2'15.X" on a great day at VIR @ 2400# and 143WHP (which comes out to 140-142 on raceday with just enough safety dialed in for dyno compliance). I am not at the class limit (I'm sitting at 17.3:1). I have a dyno reclass, and it is not the best option for my car. My setup is not optimized, and i did well regionally, so I don't think you need to be right at the power:weight cap if suspension and trans is set up well and the driver mod is where it needs to be. That said, the 2015 TTE east coast champ made it clear that a powerful car with the RIGHT setup can be awfully fast.

2015 TTE Nationals 2nd place Integra

- no aero

- 205 maxxis rc1 on 15x8

- 143WHP @ 2400#

2015 TTE Nationals 1st place Miata

- aero

- 205 hoosier r7 on 15x9 (more like a 225...)

- 140WHP @ 2405#

Interestingly enough, we were dead even on straights, but a miata on better tires with aero is better in corners and under braking. He went 2:14:8 i think.

YOU are the reason I'm questioning my power. I went through your build and saw 143 hp and said "aw crap."

I'm gonna try and max this little single cam out and see what it'll do I suppose.

I have good power, but not much else. budget suspension, no aero, relatively modest tires. I'd be happy to provide some more pointers for your build, but the sphericals and brake upgrades won't save you as much time as hoosiers or horsepower or weight.

I agree with talking with Sam Meyers. And I believe Xavier Calderon's CRX Si was up around 140WHP and I believe it was a D16.

Jeff Seldomridge is building an EG civic for PTE, I think with a D16. His shakedowns were in the 2:19s at VIR and thinks it should easily get 2:17s even with it's current prep. I'd expect his car should have a chance of being every bit as fast as my integra once it's sorted.