2017 nationals

haase1375

hello all

I just heard today that the 2017 nationals will be held in sebring for east and thunderhill for the west. I do not understand why the gods in nasa are holding the nationals always way off in the east cost or the west cost. what have the central region have done that we are having to drive a long ways to get to one of these event. 2016 top right corner of the states and for 2017 bottom right corner of the united states. how about giving the tracks in mid America a chance. after all there is cota in Austin by far the very best track in united states, even better texas hospitality. how about it ???? give us a chance

regards to all

Firouz haghighi

nasa texas

Good question. Maybe someone would provide some insight here. My understanding is the East Coast was well attended but the West Coast may have less entries than most regional events.

Sure COTA would set a record for attendance but I know NASA is a business and the track rental fee is high at COTA yet there are plenty of organizations who hold events there. Another new facility would be in Bowling Green, Kentucky at the National Corvette Museum. I know NASA has held a race there and it looks like a decent location.

Thanks for the info. on 2017-what a bummer though.

Bryan,

I think COTA would be a perfect location. Might be able to run a combined event there because it is more or less central to both East and West and get a true National Championship event.

For your idea on National Corvette Museum (NCM for short and the track in Bowling Green Kentucky), the Great Lakes Regional Director thinks it would be a great place to hold a National event and knows the track would be more than willing to host it there. One challenge they have been having is there is a strict sound limitation. They would have to have that addressed for the event. Great Lakes ran an event there in March and had several cars get caught up by the sound limitation. Great Lakes is running another event there on October 22 & 23.

What they need to do is go back to one championship and rotate. Do a west coast track one year, then midwest track the next, then east coast the next. Repeat.

I think the split format has worked well from a standpoint as far as entries. They are doing a good job of hitting the best tracks. However I would agree that they could try Road America or NCM and COTA one year. Or maybe alternate one on the East near the coast , one West but more central and then Vice Versa. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of top notch tracks inland.

The media coverage though has hit a serious relapse. Watching this years East Coast event was almost painful vs 2011, 2012 etc.

cota is the very best track in united states. I wish nasa would hold east and west for two or three years and then hold one national championship in one location in center region of us. there are lots of nice tracks in central zone of america. example

1- cota 2- topeka 3-nola 4-hallett 5-ncm.

p.s if the nationals are held at cota in 2018 it would be a event to remember for ever. cota is located within city of Austin texas where there are lot of things to do. this is a city where people can do family vacation and national champion at the same time.

just my thoughts

regards to all

firouz

regards

firouz

Heartland as mentioned, is in the middle of nowhere and that almost sunk the scca runoffs.. That should be a no go. Whatever track is chosen needs a strong regional base that has big events regularly or be a super bucket list type of track like COTA. I doubt many people are coming inland for Hallett.

COTA, NCM , Road America, Barber, Miller, Mid Ohio seem like the only legitimate choices further in.

Edited by Guest

I would love to see COTA for the nationals in 2018. Its an amazing facility located in a great city. If you do the dates right - you can have the race right before Formula 1 or LoneStar LeMans.

[Disclaimer: I live in Austin]

Actually I don't think you can do a week just before F1. Track management starts assembling all sort of buildings in the paddock for the big races. They block off a ton of area and make it a nightmare just for a big DE. NASA would fill the paddock and the overflow lots up by the gas pumps. I would search for a date not near any major event.

COTA pretty much shuts down before and after a major event. Used to be about a month before an a couple weeks after. They have gotten these times down except for F1. Not sure anybody has been on the track since IMSA/WEC...and nobody will be on again til Nov I would guess. It is easier to get on the track than it used to but your first choice usually doesn't work.

if the nasa management makes a decision to hold a 1 national championship in cota in 2018 I am sure cota and nasa management can come up with a date which would work for both parties. I assure you it will be an event that everyone will support and remember for ever. they would have to start talking soon...

regards

firouz