2017 Rules Proposals- Allowing N54-N55 engines back in GTS3

JVR127

How about adjusting formula for the n54 and n55 engines so they don't have to run in GTS4. This particular case I'm referring to one of my customers car. Car completely maxed out makes the HP but it is almost impossible to make the weight for it. Minimum weight with the HP that it makes is about 2800lbs and the car comes off the track at 3200lbs. Already has carbon fiber fenders, bumper, hood and trunk. Nowhere else to remove weight. So the option is to spend a ton of money to upgrade turbos and to do a wide body so it can fit the right tire so it can be competitive. So now we're talking about spending a ton of money for no reason.

• Members

Again, kindly remind to sign the reply, so we can see if replies are coming from the GTS related folks.

Michael G.

GTS Nat. Dir.

How about adjusting formula for the n54 and n55 engines so they don't have to run in GTS4. This particular case I'm referring to one of my customers car. Car completely maxed out makes the HP but it is almost impossible to make the weight for it. Minimum weight with the HP that it makes is about 2800lbs and the car comes off the track at 3200lbs. Already has carbon fiber fenders, bumper, hood and trunk. Nowhere else to remove weight. So the option is to spend a ton of money to upgrade turbos and to do a wide body so it can fit the right tire so it can be competitive. So now we're talking about spending a ton of money for no reason.

Didnt you just finish a race in 2nd place with that car though????

all joking aside I agree with what you're saying but I feel this would open the flood gates for other waivers to the rule. let me be clear that I do not believe in the cc limits. however, I do feel that NASA needs to remain consistent or the class will die. Iv won races and set lap records 200lbs overweight FWIW

Didnt you just finish a race in 2nd place with that car though????

all joking aside I agree with what you're saying but I feel this would open the flood gates for other waivers to the rule. let me be clear that I do not believe in the cc limits. however, I do feel that NASA needs to remain consistent or the class will die. Iv won races and set lap records 200lbs overweight

FWIW

Hahaha...that was pure luck! this car is 400lbs over weight and you can't fit a big tire without having to do a wide body kit. That would only fix one issue. The other issue is that the car is maxed out HP wise so now to have a competitive car you have to spend a ton of money. How many cars out there are racing with this motor?

I don't understand why they summited this rule since as far as I know turbo cars haven't been an issue in GTS3. I could be wrong too

• Members

Jonathan,

When we discussed Turbo cars, the agreement was that Turbo cars have a greater potential for gaining the power, especially if there is an option of adjustable boost. We took the ratio applied by BMWCCA, PCA of X 1.25 multiplier. Another reason to include T cars was that BMW and Porsche new model line up becomes almost entirely Turbos and it is only a matter of short time until we see more of those cars. We may need to revisit the multiplier? You can propose X1.2 for example and see if it gets traction?

Michael G.

GTS Nat. Dir.

Not in favor....First, I think BMWCCA is a 1.5 multiplier, not 1.25 (but that is for displacement limits in Mod, not HP calcs). You could always swap the motor into a lighter chassis, but,if you go by laptimes, it seems its pretty much on par in 4 with the current weight based on the current calulator. Especially with you driving Mr V! lol. So maybe the calculator is underweighting the car with FI??

Or reintroduce torque into the equation somehow for FI cars. (im not sure what that one data point for max torque does to the calculation)