Location of NASA Champs

gjkasten

Since the 2017 National Championship sites and dates are not really a secret anymore (Sebring and Thunderhill), I thought I would take this opportunity to open a discussion on where Nationals are held.

Yes, this is a bit of a rant. And yes, I know that you can’t make everyone happy all the time. And yes, life isn’t fair.

But……. (you knew there was a but, there is always a butt)

You (NASA Chief Schedule Makers) could make some sort of attempt to toss a bone each year to a decent chunk of your membership who reside in the middle of the Country.

NASA has named the two Championship events East and West States Championships. It really should be named East Coast and West Coast Championships. Actually it could be East Coast Championships and California Championships. Why do I suggest that? I had some spare time (and a few beers) so I pulled up google earth and did some exploring.

Anyone want to guess what the furthest distance an event has been from either the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean? Would you believe me if I said it was a whopping 330 miles when the East CoastChampionships were held at Watkins Glenn this year? The furthest the West Coast Championships, err, California Championships, have been from the golden shores of the Pacific Ocean is all of 80 miles.

Now, for a bunch of you, this apparently works out just fine. But there are a few Regions that this is not such a grand scheme. Namely the drivers (Members) in Rocky Mountain, Central and Texas Regions. I picked what I thought may be a single larger city for each Region (Denver, Kansas City, Houston) and measured miles to each of the last three events and the future 2017 events, 4 total (thank you google maps). Remember, this is ONE WAY.

Denver West Coast closest is 1,089 miles with an average of 1,214 miles

East Coast closest is 1,421 miles with an average of 1,638 miles

Kansas City West Coast closest is 1,663 miles with an average of 1,755 miles

East Coast closest is 840 miles with an average of 1,062 miles

Houston West Coast closest is 1673 miles with an average of 1,895 miles

East Coast closest is 848 miles with an average of 1,164 miles

Maybe I’m making a stink about nothing, or nobody else really cares. And maybe you can prove to me that there are no tracks that could satisfy both the Eastern or Western States, AND be able to accommodate a reasonable tow for these 3 regions.

Full disclosure, I live in Denver.

What say you NASA Chief Schedule Makers?

I drove 1115 miles one way from Florida to Watkins Glen this year. It is a championship race, I expect more than a short drive to the local track.

Plus it was worth it because I got to check it off my bucket list.

What tracks in the center of the US would you find acceptable to tow to?

I'm not suggesting that I should only have to drive to a local track. While that would be awesome, none of our regional tracks have the facilities to handle Nationals. The issue is the length of drive every year for a pretty large group of drivers. You did a drive of over 1,000 miles for 2016 and now in 2017 it looks like you will have a very short drive to Sebring if you go next year (I'm guessing you are in South Florida?). There hasn't been anything remotely close to a "short" drive for the 3 regions I listed for what will now be 4 years running.

A few tracks that come to mind which could handle Nationals in the middle of the country, includes Topeka, COTA, and Miller (or whatever they call it now). I have no expectation that one of these tracks is used every year. Mid-America would probably not be an awful drive (might be long for Texas). There may be more that I'm simply not aware of.

Since the 2017 National Championship sites and dates are not really a secret anymore (Sebring and Thunderhill), I thought I would take this opportunity to open a discussion on where Nationals are held.

Yes, this is a bit of a rant. And yes, I know that you can’t make everyone happy all the time. And yes, life isn’t fair.

But……. (you knew there was a but, there is always a butt)

You (NASA Chief Schedule Makers) could make some sort of attempt to toss a bone each year to a decent chunk of your membership who reside in the middle of the Country.

NASA has named the two Championship events East and West States Championships. It really should be named East Coast and West Coast Championships. Actually it could be East Coast Championships and California Championships. Why do I suggest that? I had some spare time (and a few beers) so I pulled up google earth and did some exploring.

Anyone want to guess what the furthest distance an event has been from either the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean? Would you believe me if I said it was a whopping 330 miles when the East CoastChampionships were held at Watkins Glenn this year? The furthest the West Coast Championships, err, California Championships, have been from the golden shores of the Pacific Ocean is all of 80 miles.

Now, for a bunch of you, this apparently works out just fine. But there are a few Regions that this is not such a grand scheme. Namely the drivers (Members) in Rocky Mountain, Central and Texas Regions. I picked what I thought may be a single larger city for each Region (Denver, Kansas City, Houston) and measured miles to each of the last three events and the future 2017 events, 4 total (thank you google maps). Remember, this is ONE WAY.

Denver West Coast closest is 1,089 miles with an average of 1,214 miles

East Coast closest is 1,421 miles with an average of 1,638 miles

Kansas City West Coast closest is 1,663 miles with an average of 1,755 miles

East Coast closest is 840 miles with an average of 1,062 miles

Houston West Coast closest is 1673 miles with an average of 1,895 miles

East Coast closest is 848 miles with an average of 1,164 miles

Maybe I’m making a stink about nothing, or nobody else really cares. And maybe you can prove to me that there are no tracks that could satisfy both the Eastern or Western States, AND be able to accommodate a reasonable tow for these 3 regions.

Full disclosure, I live in Denver.

What say you NASA Chief Schedule Makers?

I towed from Florida to Salt Lake for the championships in 2009 and miss every min of it. To me a close by championship isn't a championship, it's a local. That said I feel like Nasa should do a center event were only podium finishers from east and west are invited to do at say mid america or heartland park (I think heartland is out of business) so you can crown a Full on champion.

Perhaps a Championship Qualification round of 1 in each region and you must win your class to get the invite. Make it a specific event in each region and you can go out of region to qualify if you don't win in yours. Then Have one championship only for those winners in the middle of the country.

I'm not suggesting that I should only have to drive to a local track. While that would be awesome, none of our regional tracks have the facilities to handle Nationals. The issue is the length of drive every year for a pretty large group of drivers. You did a drive of over 1,000 miles for 2016 and now in 2017 it looks like you will have a very short drive to Sebring if you go next year (I'm guessing you are in South Florida?). There hasn't been anything remotely close to a "short" drive for the 3 regions I listed for what will now be 4 years running.

A few tracks that come to mind which could handle Nationals in the middle of the country, includes Topeka, COTA, and Miller (or whatever they call it now). I have no expectation that one of these tracks is used every year. Mid-America would probably not be an awful drive (might be long for Texas). There may be more that I'm simply not aware of.

I am actually just west of Daytona, 3 hours from Sebring and 6 hours from Homestead.

Perhaps a Championship Qualification round of 1 in each region and you must win your class to get the invite. Make it a specific event in each region and you can go out of region to qualify if you don't win in yours. Then Have one championship only for those winners in the middle of the country.

This is an interesting idea. I doubt the few entries could swing the cost of track rental though.

I am actually just west of Daytona, 3 hours from Sebring and 6 hours from Homestead.

This is an interesting idea. I doubt the few entries could swing the cost of track rental though.

I think the legitimacy of a larger turn out from everyone who qualified showing up would pay dividends on future legitimacy of championships. So in my mind I figured write this event off as a loss and make it no entry fee for all that qualify. But make it a one day event. Plus somewhere like mid America can't be a very pricey track to rent.

The logic of your issue is valid. However looking at both sides, most of the best tracks are near the coastlines and it seems NASA is picking the absolute best bucket list, well known tracks they can that will draw the most entries. So far they have been spot on in doing that IMO going Road Atlanta, VIR, Watkins Glen and now Sebring and conversely Sonoma, Laguna, Buttonwillow and now Thunderhill. It's hard to blame the powers that be for a lineup like that. I would call that certainly putting their best foot forward though it has come at the expense of some of the middle states members, but there just aren't nearly as many quality options inland. From Denver you are in for a bit of a hike to a bucket list track no matter what unless it's Miller. COTA is still 900+ miles from Denver.

We need a better network of connecting for shipping. Some guys are willing to tow 40hrs. My limit is about 10-12 before I seek other options of which there are next to none. I contacted a shipping company about round trip to Laguna and it was about 22k to take 7 cars and spares/tools etc. round trip from GA enclosed. That's only about 3k per person. I would have done it, but couldn't put a group together to do it so I didn't go.

hello all,

the most important thing is to have all nasa regions to come together for one national championship. for 2014,15,16,17

we had and will have east and west where very few from east go to west and visa versa, I think for 2018 the nasa nationals should be held in cota in Austin, you ask why cota, here are the reasons

1- it is a world class facility

2- lots of pit parking

3- very secure

4- it is located in Austin Texas

5- lots of hotel rooms where they do not hit you up for big dollars because of an event.

6- lots of great places to have good food

7- lots of places to go have fun after race hours fantastic night life.

8- where families could have a family vacation check out things to do in Austin and around Austin, don't you all want to see Alamo ??

I think nasa does have a great idea of east and west however I also think once every two or three years we all should go to a central location (too bad about topika) like cota where we can crown one national champion

regards to all,

Firouz

has not won a nasa championship yet

2qbhzc7.png

It looks like they've been getting it right, given the US population distribution. They float around the eastern third or quarter of the US and stay near the coast for the western side.

By population, no one is in the the middle and then it also sucks for either coast.

As a Texan and fairly new to NASA, just finished my first full year racing, it's hard for me to consider a long tow to either coast. There are definitely those from TX who went to Watkins because it's a bucket list track. I may consider Sebring but it's a long damn way and i'm tired of flat tracks (see Texas).

Having just finished a weekend at COTA i think it'd be great for every few years to have it there. The facility is arguably the best in the country and given it's central proximity its cheaper to ship from either coast then from one to the other.

anyway, my $.02

Well now we are racing at COTA over Memorial Day 2017. Let's see what the draw is even without it being a Nat. Championship. I agree it would be nice if every two or three years it wasn't on the coasts. But I understand that NASA is a business and the goal is to make money so I understand it's more profitable to have two National Championship races rather than one. Of course with the split championships nobody is really the National Champion unless they won both in the same year I guess?

without it being a Nat. Championship

two National Championship races

nobody is really the National Champion unless they won both in the same year I guess?

Nobody's calling these "National Championships" except members who can't break the habit. Those of us on the organizational end only refer to 'em as NASA Championships, Eastern States Championships, Western States Championships, etc. Two events ends up serving more members, making more great racing, and providing more fun than one single event would've, so I for one don't see any reason to change things. Luckily that's not my decision

.............................................and given it's central proximity its cheaper to ship from either coast then from one to the other.

anyway, my $.02

Just pointing something out. I run a business in VA and ship product all over the country. I can ship from VA to NY or FL cheaper than I can ship to W.VA or Tennessee. Several years ago I read that 55% of the US population lives within 500 miles of Washington DC. Freight rates seem to support that fact since TONS of material runs up and down the east coast but not inland.

.......from east and west are invited to do at say mid america or heartland park (I think heartland is out of business) so you can crown a Full on champion.

Actually Heartland Park Topeka is reopened and they just repaved the entire track. That is awesome news as the track surface is what most of us didn't like about the facility. We will be going there next year on Memorial weekend when NASA Central hosts the event there.

I am torn as my duties will expect me to be at COTA and at Topkeka on the same weekend. But I would much really rather race at Topeka.