Does anyone/is it possible to run a oval track car in TT?

DavidNJ

I have a super late model circle track stock car that I haven't run in a while. Tube frame full cage with a small block chevy, fiberglass body, Lexan windows, fuel cell, two fire suppression systems (one driver controlled, one temperature controlled), etc. I like oval racing but don't have the time and all of the local tracks have closed. When I started oval racing the closest oval was 30 minutes away (it is now shopping center anchored by Lowes) and the nearest oval over 2 hours away. Now the nearest oval is over 2:45 away and the closest road course under 2 hours.

It looks like it might fit under TT1 or TT2 as a non-production vehicle. The left/right suspension could be made symmetric except for unequal control arm lengths. The 4-speed missing 1st gear transmission with three independent shift levers could be swapped. Ditto the pedals that are set up for left-foot braking with a top trap over the gas pedal. Using lead it should be possible to get close to 50/50 left right and 48/52 front rear. The left-hand turn setup carb would have to modified or swapped,

There is no passenger seats and no ability to add one; the chassis/cage tubing has a major junction there. There are no lights of any kind except for the instruments; no brake lights or turn signals. There is nor windshield wiper and no side door windows. There are no mirrors; mirrors where prohibited. They could be added but the view through the Lexan rear window and Lexan spoiler would make the view pretty blurry. The seat, window net, etc. make using your hands for pointing the side to pass on impossible.

Does anyone run these type of circle track cars in NASA events? Is it possible to do so?

Thanks,

David

Hello and welcome to the forums. Yes, you could run a circle track car in TT. However, you would have to make some changes to it in order to run with NASA.

First, you would need a functioning brake light, very easy to setup.

Second, your car would have to adhere to the CCR in regards to safety equipment. I would definitely study them to understand what is needed. Not sure what region you live in, but reach out to the regional director where you live and discuss with him/her your plans.

Most importantly, while you don't need a passenger seat to run TT, you do need to have a TT license and to get that, you have to climb the NASA ladder which consists of HPDE 1, HPDE 2 and HPDE 3 before getting a license. In the early steps of that ladder, you would need an instructor to ride along with you. Therefore, you could not use your SLM to run in HPDE 1 without a passenger seat.

Hope this helps.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

You don't NEED a brake light, its really up to your regional director. You may need one.

You don't NEED to work your way "up the ladder", its really up to your region. If you have a license from another sanctioning body, you may be able to get a license right away. It just depends on your experience and your region.

So you are better off going to straight to your regional guys and working it out with them. I know lots of circle track cars run in our region.

You don't NEED a brake light, its really up to your regional director. You may need one.

You don't NEED to work your way "up the ladder", its really up to your region. If you have a license from another sanctioning body, you may be able to get a license right away. It just depends on your experience and your region.

So you are better off going to straight to your regional guys and working it out with them. I know lots of circle track cars run in our region.

Both the HPDE and Annual Racecar Tech Forms require brake lights.

11.4.18 Lights

There should be at least two (2) working red brake lights visible from 300 feet to the rear (except formula cars, sports racers, and other vehicles specifically approved by the Event Director). Certain other race cars may be exempt at the discretion of the Event Director.

11.4.18 Lights

There should be at least two (2) working red brake lights visible from 300 feet to the rear (except formula cars, sports racers, and other vehicles specifically approved by the Event Director). Certain other race cars may be exempt at the discretion of the Event Director.

Interesting "opening" in the ruleset, I did not remember that being in there.

Either way, I say all cars should have a brake light. To the OP, fast forward to the 9:15 mark and see what happens when a car does not run brake lights.

11.4.18 Lights

Does the exception just mean that those cars (formula cars etc.) need one brake light (probably mounted at the center), and not that they don't need any brake lights? - Jim

Either way, I say all cars should have a brake light.

Agreed. And not some dinky little Harbor Freight trailer light either, but at least one that can really be seen. Much like running headlights/tail-lights on the street when it's raining during the day, this is something that everyone SHOULD be doing it whether the rules (or law) require it or not. It's polite - and the right thing to do for everyone behind you...

That said, TT is HPDE not racing, and I haven't yet seen a HPDE car pass tech without working brake lights

• National Staff
Either way, I say all cars should have a brake light.

Agreed. And not some dinky little Harbor Freight trailer light either, but at least one that can really be seen. Much like running headlights/tail-lights on the street when it's raining during the day, this is something that everyone SHOULD be doing it whether the rules (or law) require it or not. It's polite - and the right thing to do for everyone behind you...

That said, TT is HPDE not racing, and I haven't yet seen a HPDE car pass tech without working brake lights

Not only do you need working brake lights in TT, but I'm adding a technical bulletin for both ST and PT regarding those classes to have brake lights as well. It looks like the CCR rule requiring them in the race classes was deleted in mid 2016.