Roebling Road - Sep 24/25 - Noob questions?

vms4evr

Hey folks,

Some questions and an introduction. Graham Jagger from Raleigh, NC.

Just joined NASA. This will be my first HPDE. Will be doing Roebling this weekend. No track experience. 3yrs of Autocross with Evo schools. I was autoxing a 92 Vette. Replaced it in April with an 02 Vette - Z06. Have autox'd it a few times to get the feel for the difference from my 92. Car has been teched and signed off by a mechanic today. Read all the articles on the website.

I have all my autox gear so I'm covered with helmet, jack, tools, air pump, gauge, cooler, canopy, tarp, gloves, shoes, etc...

So I flushed all the fluids out of the beast and replaced all with some Royal Purple I wanted to try out. Engine oil, trans, diff, PS unit all fresh synthetic fluids. Completely flushed out brakes and replaced with Motul RBF 600. Even put gas in the car

So onto questions:

I hear Roebling is hard on tires, specifically the left side. Should I plan on swapping tires side to side at the end of the day Saturday to balance wear? Or is this not really a big deal for one weekend?

Since I have fresh high temp brake fluid will I be good for the weekend or should I plan on bleeding off some fluid in the front calipers after Saturday's runs?

Do I need jacking boards there? ie, is pit area tar or dirt?

Can I leave my canopy setup Saturday night and not have to tear everything down? (secured site?)

Are long sleeve shirts and pants mandated? (considering how hot it is out)

Oh and most important. How is the concession stand? Decent food or should I brown bag a lunch?

Any other suggestions on what else I should bring? Within reason. The trunk is only so big...

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Graham

I hear Roebling is hard on tires, specifically the left side. Should I plan on swapping tires side to side at the end of the day Saturday to balance wear? Or is this not really a big deal for one weekend?

Yes, Roebling is very hard on tires. The surface is mostly rough and grainy with some sealant and some patches to throw you off. It can be a real adventure in the wet due to the changes in surface.

Since I have fresh high temp brake fluid will I be good for the weekend or should I plan on bleeding off some fluid in the front calipers after Saturday's runs?

Just keep an eye on it. You shouldn't need to bleed much if any off unless you cook a corner or two. I used RBF 600 in a '99 Mustang GT at Kershaw for my first track weekend (three days) and had no problems at all.

Do I need jacking boards there? ie, is pit area tar or dirt?

You want to have boards with you. Paddock is sandy and jacks and stands aren't allowed on the (fairly new) paved areas.

Can I leave my canopy setup Saturday night and not have to tear everything down? (secured site?)

Yep.

Are long sleeve shirts and pants mandated? (considering how hot it is out)

I'm not sure how tightly it will be enforced, but it's a good idea even if not enforced. Fires and skin don't mix. Fires are less likely at an HPDE event, but they're not unheard of.

Oh and most important. How is the concession stand? Decent food or should I brown bag a lunch?

Food was pretty good at the on site concession stand.

Any other suggestions on what else I should bring? Within reason. The trunk is only so big...

Lots of water and sun screen. Full brim hat, or baseball cap if you must. Welcome mat or something so you can brush the sand off your feet before getting in the car.

Thanks Doug.

I loaded up my jack and boards. I'll plan on having to swap the tires around. They're factory GY F1 SC. So I can flip them side to side.

If you drove a Stang at CMP for 3 days and didn't boil the fluid and need to bleed it off that sounds pretty good. I hear it is hard on brakes. Especially the heavier cars. That track is closer to me and on my list along with VIR.

I've packed cotton pants and long sleeve shirt. Will do the right thing and just wear them on track. Have some Cool Shirts to wear underneath.

Will have plenty of fluids and suntan lotion.

Graham

• Members

Graham,

Welcome! You'll have a lot of fun at Roebling, it has to be one of the easiest tracks to begin learning on, not very technical and very forgiving.

You can find out all the details about Supplemental Regulations here:

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2005Sep24/supps.pdf

Roebling allows short sleeves but requires long pants in cars and on track. Drink lots of fluids, and the concession stand is very good. Don't forget to be at the All Hands Meeting at 7:30a and stick around Saturday nite for the pizza at the Awards party.

Drive safe, see you @ Roebling!

Graham, if you're interested, our web site (http://www.NutDriver.org) has articles from each of our races and HPDE events. Just look on the "menu bar" on the left of our site for "HPDE #1", etc. and click on that. The HPDEs were all at CMP, but with different cars. We really like CMP, and Roebling, where we did our SCCA driver's school.

Jim,

Thanks! Had a great time. Plenty of seat time. Had plenty of clean air since we only had about 12 people in Group I.

Doug,

I checked out your website. Good stuff. I'll be doing CMP sometime in the near future. Did end up swapping wheels side to side to even the tire wear. Did need a jacking board and a couple of boards to drive the front onto so I could get the jack under the car. The Motul held up nicely all weekend and never had to bleed any off. But I will now I'm home.

Graham