ride along

kinkyllama

Dont you have to get a wrist band to ride along ? isnt it like $5?

Also if the person riding along is under 18 do there parents have to sign anything? if so where can i find it (her parents couldnt come to the track)?

Thanks,

Danny

Hmmm, at the So Cal Willow Springs event, there was no fee for ride along. Just the fee ($5 at Willow) to enter the track which is not paid to NASA but to the people at the gate.

I am unsure about alternative locations for the waiver or the age limit.

-George

• National Staff

Here are the rules from the CCR's regarding minors in HPDE. A parental consent form must be on file with the regional NASA office, and a "legal guardian" must be present. I suppose you will need to speak with your Regional Director to see who would be able to qualify as a "legal guardian" other than a parent (? grandparent, sibling, adult with a legal guardian medical release?):

3.6 Minors

No one under 18 years of age (16 years of age,** with parental consent) is allowed to be on the track. The hot pits (pit lane) are considered part of the racetrack. A minor

release form must be filled out and be on file with NASA at every event for 16 and 17 year old participants. All minor participants should have at least one parent or legal guardian present at all times.

3.6.1 **Addendum to Minors

Persons under 16 years of age may, under certain circumstances, be allowed to participate in on-track activities, including but not limited to: HPDE (open tracks, driving

schools), racing events, hill climbs, autocross, etc. The following criteria must be met before a minor, under the age of 16 years, may be allowed to participate:

• Parental consent must be made, and a completed and signed minor waiver form must be on file with the local NASA office.

• The Regional Director must approve, and should have specific permission from the Executive Director.

• The minor must have some prior experience to justify the on-track activity as being reasonably safe and prudent.

• The performance of the vehicle driven by the minor must be reasonable and safe given the minor’s prior track experience.

• All NASA safety rules and precautions must be followed.

• It is required that at least one parent or legal guardian be present at the event.

It is strongly recommended that the parent or legal guardian accompany the minor

during any instructional periods.

No one under 18 years of age (16 years of age,** with parental consent) is allowed to be on the track. The hot pits (pit lane) are considered part of the racetrack.

Does this mean that if I had a 14yr old son who grew up racing go carts he could enter HPDE1 in a miata?

Does this mean that if I had a 14yr old son who grew up racing go carts he could enter HPDE1 in a miata?

That would probably be ok if you can fit somewhere in the car, too. It states that the parent should be in the car,

It is strongly recommended that the parent or legal guardian accompany the minor during any instructional periods.
but I (personally) don't think the parent should be the instructor - too easy to be less critical, or even too critical, of driving technique. I won't even instruct my friends. I only go along with my friends after they have been signed off to go solo in an HPDE group by their instructor - then I'll go along if they want for additional feedback.

My parents have a hard enough time signing the waivors and faxing them in let alone come out to the track. When i asked in the past if i could get a forum and just have my parents sign it and fax it in they said that would be fine.

I won't even instruct my friends. I only go along with my friends after they have been signed off to go solo in an HPDE group by their instructor - then I'll go along if they want for additional feedback.

I try to follow this same protocol.