NASA Rookie

993jim

Hi all, new member with a quick question..

I'm wondering if anyone out there associated with a race team - either professional or amateur - needs an extra set of hands around the shop or at the track with their race cars??

Brief background: I'm an ex-Boeing structures engineer, recently decided to switch paths and pursue a long dormant dream of a career in motorsports. I'm currently enrolled in a Motorsport engineering program, but ultimately seeking out some hands-on experience with race car prep, data analysis, the works.. I do have mechanical experience working on cars (rate myself a 3 out of 5.. no ASE cert, but familiar with all components). No welding skills, but I wouldn't mind learning! Driving history consists of intermediate level HPDE, but registered for Novice Driver training this spring for a Comp license. Planning on running Spec E30, hopefully see some of you out there.

SO, if anyone is aware of any opportunities, from one gear head to another I'd really appreciate it. Happy to send resumes if desired. Currently in the Seattle area, but have no issues relocating (within the US, that is).

Cheers,

James

Hey James,

I'll give you $0.02 worth of observation.

Go to a couple of NASA events, find the E30 guys and hang out. Get to know some folks, maybe volunteer at the track and I'm sure you'll find some folks that would love to have a spare hand around.

Not sure you'll find a paying gig but you'll meet people and be around racecars.

And/or start doing some work on the side ON racecars that other shops may not be interested in doing.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Hey James,

I'll give you $0.02 worth of observation.

Go to a couple of NASA events, find the E30 guys and hang out. Get to know some folks, maybe volunteer at the track and I'm sure you'll find some folks that would love to have a spare hand around.

Not sure you'll find a paying gig but you'll meet people and be around racecars.

And/or start doing some work on the side ON racecars that other shops may not be interested in doing.

Good luck.

Thanks FBody, I really do appreciate the advice and will make use of it. I should've mentioned in my original post that I'm no way expecting a paid position, I'm just genuinely interested in learning at this point (and helping where I can).

I've stopped by a number of local track days, chatted up the Pro3 guys, all exceptionally welcoming. Unfortunately, it hasn't produce any "work" opportunities yet but I'll keep prodding

Cheers,

James