Boxster questions

aaronsti

Two questions if you could help me out. 1. Post purchase, is a boxster an expensive car to campaign? 2. Is a boxster more or less competitive/faster than an e36 m3? Thank you

Two questions if you could help me out. 1. Post purchase, is a boxster an expensive car to campaign? 2. Is a boxster more or less competitive/faster than an e36 m3? Thank you

1) Boxsters have one of the lowest operating costs in racing. Excellent fuel economy, excellent braking capability with minimal rotor and pad wear and excellent tire wear with the balance of a mid-engine platform.

2) Depends on what motor is in the boxster. 2.5L, 2.7L, 3.2L or 3.6L?

1) Boxsters have one of the lowest operating costs in racing. Excellent fuel economy, excellent braking capability with minimal rotor and pad wear and excellent tire wear with the balance of a mid-engine platform.

Not sure which motor. I'm looking to switch chassis from my sti. Which motors can be competitive?

Not sure which motor. I'm looking to switch chassis from my sti. Which motors can be competitive?

Depends on what GTS class you want to run and in what region. A 2.5L boxster (1997-1999, 190rwhp) with toyos would be very competitive in GTS2 in some regions but dead last at East Coast Championships as i was at Watkins Glen last fall. With Hoosiers i would still have been near the back. A 2.7L boxster (210rwhp) with hoosiers would be mid-pack-ish. If you move to a 3.2L motor (Boxster S), then you will have to move out of GTS2 (or add a stupid amount of weight) and into GTS3 as i am doing now with one of my boxsters. My other car will still be a spec boxster and can run GTS2 as i did in Utah a couple of weeks ago. won't know how competitive the new 3.2L platform will be until Sebring but i suspect it will be competitive with minimum weight being around 2750 with 250rwhp. (the Boxster platform is considerably lighter than the Beemers in GTS) Hope that helps. You can PM me if you want more info.

• 2 weeks later...

A boxster with the right motor, right suspension setup, tires, aero and driver should be able to compete with the e36's in gts2. The few we've seen in the mid atlantic region were all on spec boxster suspension and were getting killed b/c of low mid corner speed. Their straightline ability was on par with what e36's were doing. But 5mph slower vmin leading onto a long straight hurts a lot for overall lap time.