Fuel pump mounting?

trackboss

I cannot find anything in the rules that does not allow the fuel pump to be mounted inside the cockpit. Any suggestions? What does the scca rule book require?

thanks,

-V

In our 2000 ASedan Mustang we run our fuel pump in the trunk (spare tire well). We don't even have a bulkhead between the pump/filter the cabin of the car. (I'm not sure if we are supposed to or not, but no one has said anything to us about it in three seasons). We use the Fuel Safe R model tank/cell, so it mounts in the stock location and the hoses pass though the side of the spare tire well.

I think the rules only state that the tank/cell has to be separated from the cabin/driver by sheet metal; they make no mention of fuel pumps/filters. The hoses must obviously be metal or braided metal.

I know a ton of SCCA cars running pumps in the trunk, but most of them have a metal bulkhead. I plan to put the pump in the trunk on my new car and bulkhead the car as well. We planned to bulkhead the trunk on Ihara's ASedan car too, but never got around to it.

To me its all a matter of personal safety - if you feel safe having the fuel pump mounted that close to you - go for it. I just hope I'm not the one in the safety vehicle trying to extinguish the fire INSIDE your car if for some reason the fuel line fitting has vibrated loose and sprayed 110 octane all over you and poof!

Seriously - I can't find anything in the rules, but keep the flamable stuff out of the cockpit. I'm still struggling with the Accusump next top me - I need to move it elsewhere too. Do what is safe!

Thanks for the replies. On my old car the pump was in the tank, but the lines were in the car, steel braided of course, and I never had an issue. NASA ok'd it. Not to mention it was FI so there were two lines. I always use bulkhead fittings whenever lines go through metal so it was about as good an install as possible. No bulkheads anywhere. I searched around rules, NASA, SCCA, speed WC, and could not find anything. this particular car is carberated so basically holley pump. I know it is always recommended to mount the pump under the fuel supply, but in a mustang it is nearly impossible. I am leaning towards mounting the pump on the rear framerail under the car, but even there it is possible that on a hard impact for that corner it could get hit. What I like about in the car is that it is almost impossible for it to get hit. However, there is always a chance that something in the pump could come loose for whatever reason and it starts spraying. I do trust the braided lines and proper fittings to be much more resistant to that than the pump. If anyone sees anything please let me know. I want the car to be legal in all clubs with respect to this situtaion. The fuel filter I am planning on mounting on the roll cage between the shock towers as I had in my old car. Same goes here. If some club doesn't allow that I would like to know.

thanks again,

-V

Is there a bulkhead between the cell and the driver that seperates the entire trunk section of the car? If there is just put the pump in that section and call it good.

That is how we did it in our blue car.

http://www.on-trackperformance.com/DSCN2097.JPG is a pick of the cell/pump and the fuel cell before the bulkead went in.

http://www.on-trackperformance.com/DSCN2100.JPG here is another before the bulkhead.

http://www.on-trackperformance.com/DSCN2261.JPG here is a shot of the bulkhead and you can just make out the fuel filter/pump.

I don't see any problem with mounting it inside the vehicle as long as all the lines are steel braided and the pump uses AN hardware. One it's tight it should not come loose but it does not hurt to put a wrench on it once in a while just as a double check.

Are you using a custom cell or the Cobra fuel cell? If you ever looked at Bruce's blue car, the fuel pumps and filter were mounted in the spare tire area. There was a bulkhead between the trunk and the passenger area so the car met SCCA Club and Pro regulations as well as NASA.

cobra R cell. Currently no bulkhead and didn't plan one. It's an LX so bulkhead is harder to make. Sealing up the edges is a little tough because all the useless interior sheetmetal is gone. Filter is mounted on crossbar of cage between shock towers as it was in my car, which didn't have a bulkhead. In order to avoid having to fab up a bulkhead is it ok to mount the lines and filter in the cockpit as long as the pump is under the car?

thanks,

-V