What year Miata to buy?

jauten

Hello,

I am very new to racing. I have never raced before, but I want to get started. I've researched the different series in NASA and SM seems to be the best to get started on a budget. I have been researching Miatas and I was wondering what year would be best to purchase to race SM in. I want the best model Miata for racing, that I will be able to be competitive racing in after modifications. Thanks

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

I can't give you a whole lot of advice on Miata's but maybe a little advice on getting started in general. Go to an event local to you and talk to people. The people you will be racing with will be at least as important as the car you will run. Also you can see what cars are popular in your region. Not all cars are popular in all regions. I run Spec 944 in the Southeast and we have a good sized group, but there are very few if any in Mid-Atlantic as an example. So Spec Miata may be a great class, but then again it may not. Depends on where you are.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

It depends more on the driver you are. However, for SM, the NB2 (01-05) seems to be the hot ticket. Everyone likes the fact that they generally produce more torque so they're more favorable for racing. What region are you located in?

If you have other questions, feel free to email me directly.

[email protected]

Edited by snickernsx