Dyno Information

davidfarmer

just a PSA to everyone, the dyno averaging is even more time consuming this year, and in the lower classes a few extra HP has an even greater impact on your minimum weight. That being said, finding the required data and averaging the numbers takes time, and time is money. I've been warning my clients that if they want the normal 3 pulls, the price is the same as always, but if they want me to calculate the average for them, they will be paying for that service.

Not complaining, just be aware that your Random Dynojet Shop may not be willing to do it at all, but especially not for free.

• National Staff
just a PSA to everyone, the dyno averaging is even more time consuming this year, and in the lower classes a few extra HP has an even greater impact on your minimum weight. That being said, finding the required data and averaging the numbers takes time, and time is money. I've been warning my clients that if they want the normal 3 pulls, the price is the same as always, but if they want me to calculate the average for them, they will be paying for that service.

Not complaining, just be aware that your Random Dynojet Shop may not be willing to do it at all, but especially not for free.

David, I would not expect the Dyno shop to calculate the Avg HP for any competitor (except as you state, as an added fee service). Competitors should be able to do it themselves in less than 10 minutes. Only the pull with the highest Peak HP needs to be looked at for the data table numbers. We will work on coming up with an online version of the Avg HP calculation page on the Dyno Cert Form, but the project we had using the actual Dynojet file to extract the data and come up with the Avg HP result kept running into to many bugs, so I think we are done with that.

I would think having the dyno printout, listing the horsepower at 250 rpm increments above/below Max HP from the 50 RPM increment table, would be sufficient for the driver/owner to calculate their Avg. HP.

• National Staff
I would think having the dyno printout, listing the horsepower at 250 rpm increments above/below Max HP from the 50 RPM increment table, would be sufficient for the driver/owner to calculate their Avg. HP.

Oh, it is. But, as David will tell you, some folks don't like dealing with numbers.

customers expect (right or wrong) tech stations to not only tech their cars, but to then tell them what class they should run. Dyno is similar.

I'm assuming Page 3 of the Dyno Cert form is to be filled out by the racer, but since it's attached the the part that has to be signed by the dyno shop, people tend to expect it all to be done for them.

If you can do your own, that's great, but so far only about 25% of my clients have any idea how to average their data. At best, they think they are supposed to average the max from the three pulls.

I'm happy to do it, but I charge an hourly rate for anything other the "3 pulls and done".

Did anyone ever create an app or spreadsheet that takes the CSV and does all of the work? Find the peak, move up and down in 5 cell increments, then average the 4/6/8 max numbers? Would save time for those really dialing in their cars!

If someone has a file I can play with I believe I can make it work.

Also, I have a method of taking a picture or PDF of a Dyno graph and digitizing it to make the calculation.

If someone has a file I can play with I believe I can make it work.

Also, I have a method of taking a picture or PDF of a Dyno graph and digitizing it to make the calculation.

You can easily export the file to CSV in 50 rpm increments and dump into work sheet and doing calc.

gentlemen the math is not hard, that isn't the issue for me. The issue is that the calculation takes longer than the 3 dyno pulls, and if a customer can't do it themselves they will be paying the shop to do it.

if someone wants to make a spreadsheet, that would be great. You'd have to pull the max power rpm from one column, then pull all of your data from another column based on the rpm. You need 4, 6 or 8 data points based on max rpm also.

email me if you'd like a txt file

y2khardtop at geemale

NASA-MidSouth just had our dyno day and we went to the good folks at Dynospeed in Memphis. I asked them for a readout by 250rpms and they printed it out with my graph. It took less than a minute to include it.

As per the Dyno Certification Form... here: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/12967/NASA_ST-PT-TT_Dyno_Certification__Form--1-5-18.pdf I took the max HP reading from my graph... then added the 5 highest values at 250rpm increments on my printout and divided by 6. This is like 3rd grade math. Easy peasy.

• National Staff
NASA-MidSouth just had our dyno day and we went to the good folks at Dynospeed in Memphis. I asked them for a readout by 250rpms and they printed it out with my graph. It took less than a minute to include it.

As per the Dyno Certification Form... here: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/12967/NASA_ST-PT-TT_Dyno_Certification__Form--1-5-18.pdf I took the max HP reading from my graph... then added the 5 highest values at 250rpm increments on my printout and divided by 6. This is like 3rd grade math. Easy peasy.

Hopefully you had them printed out in 50 RPM increments and then use the 250 rpm numbers. It gives a different result in what you described.

Hopefully you had them printed out in 50 RPM increments and then use the 250 rpm numbers. It gives a different result in what you described.

I emailed you my graph and printout. Let me know if I miscalculated.