Bilstein shocks not available anymore??

cnlsteyn

I have a rules question. I have been trying to get some replacement Bilstein shocks for my miata since the end of last year. Mazdaspeed has none and has no idea when they will get some, I have a standing order with Summit Racing for months now with no end in sight. Everyone I call says they have no idea when they will get any. Is there any consideration to moving to a different vendor, Koni or someone else. I am racing on completely useless shocks and no way to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, not sure I can answer on whether or not they are thinking about switching manufacturers but I have a set of fairly new SM Bilstein shocks/springs for sale if you are interested. My email is: [email protected] if you are interested. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spoke with Mazda Motorsports yesterday.

Bilstein had some "issues" but are shipping in shocks in the next 1-2 weeks. They are getting enough to cover back orders with some left over.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bilstein SM shocks are nothing special. They are the exact same shock that you can buy from bilstein's website for a regular Street Miata. One of the many reasons that they are changing the shock to the Penske shock setup, is because the factory bilstein's are woefully under damped for Spec Miata racing and supply/rebuilds have become more difficult. They were designed as a street shock, and then used for SM, because they are cost effective compared to other alternatives... At least at that time. You can actually buy the same shock, that is improved from the SM bilstein B6, with the bilstein B8, which has a shorter body and is designed for cars,powered cars, which provides more travel without compromising droop with extended top hats. Personally, I run extended top hats still with the B6 shocks.

• 1 month later...

For Spec Miata starting in January they are changing to Penske shock package. Billstiens can still be used but not a racing shock so won't compare to the new Penske's. 

https://www.nasaproracing.com/news/2018/8/mazda_spec_miata_penske_racing_shocks_upgrade_on_way_to_nasa_and_scca

• Members
1 hour ago, Rick Worth said:

For Spec Miata starting in January they are changing to Penske shock package. Billstiens can still be used but not a racing shock so won't compare to the new Penske's. 

https://www.nasaproracing.com/news/2018/8/mazda_spec_miata_penske_racing_shocks_upgrade_on_way_to_nasa_and_scca

^^^Penske's will be mandatory for Championship event.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Hastarock said:

Sorry, but what constitutes "the whole package"?

The new shock price will be set at $198.74 apiece, with the complete upper mount/bump stop kit retailing at $249.90. Parts will be available exclusively through Mazda Motorsports with a total cost for conversion; including four shocks, top mount, bump stops and lower spherical mounts for less than $1,050. Unlike the current Spec Miata shock, the Penske will be tamper-proof, and rebuildable through Penske at $100/shock. 

• 2 weeks later...