Track Limits

gjkasten

There was a Facebook discussion shortly after the Cinco de Cota event that was discussing track limits for COTA. I wasn't there, so have no first hand experience from that weekend, but what I understand is many cars were running well beyond what may (or may not) be defined as the "track limits".

Can a NASA official type person tell us what the track limits will be and how they will be enforced? There is a ton of pavement that extends well beyond what anyone reasonable person would consider to be track limits so defining the limit would be helpful and level the playing field.

Is it the first painted line?

The back side of rumble strips (if there are any)?

The second painted line (where there is one)?

Are two wheels allowed beyond whatever the determined track limit is?

What happens if someone goes 4 wheels beyond the limit and gains an advantage?

Some people were talking about larger "gators" being installed for some events, but not the most recent NASA event. Will those be installed for Nationals?

Curious minds want to know.

• 2 weeks later...
Great questions, I certainly would like to hear more about that.

It's only been about 2 weeks since I posted the question. The communication (or lack thereof) is amazing.

The gators on the track out in turns like 11, 15 and 20 may or may not be in on any event. Not really a whole lot to worry about. You'll see them or not first practice session and drive accordingly. Track limits were way more strict in 2017 NASA event than 2018. TT rules have not changed. TT has to keep two tires inside the second white line to avoid DQ. People racing and doing TT have a hard time adjusting. Racing rules claimed that you needed to have two tires inside the second white line, but the 2018 SM races looked like the MX5 Cup race earlier in the year with massive track out in 1, 11, 12, 15, 19, 20. The "wording" of the rules sort of morphed into "you cannot use it gain an advantage", but every car was using every inch well past the second white line. COTA has hundreds of cameras, so they can enforce it if they want. I don't think they want to manage it, so pretty anything goes besides just straightening out the esses by running on the back side of the pyramids.

I was at a NASA event 2 weeks ago and heard 3 different stories about what they were doing, none from someone in a leadership role. I do think that it's impossible to police the track limits given how large COTA is, cameras or not. I also know that those of us that know where to cut the track have a huge advantage on our competitors. My guess is the orange gators will be up and if you want to risk hitting them and killing your weekend go for it. I for one will be doing what was said above and studying each corner on my first session or track walk.

In 2017 i ran a clean lap inside the white line, only 2 over and one where i went wild like a Cup car. My clean lap was 2.5 seconds slower.

• 3 weeks later...

COTA is a beautiful track. Although not for Miatas, where interpreting track limits makes a huge difference.

The definition of “not gaining a advantage” is unenforceable, and generally a cop out solution.

Time is running out. How do we plan? If it’s gators then say so. If there are no track limits then say so. Don’t let this happen by default on race weekend. That disrespects the track.

• 5 weeks later...

At the Cinco De COTA event the rule was any paved surface was considered track limits.

They had such a hard time enforcing track limits in '17 that they chose to this route in '18.