ST6/TT6 Tire Section Width Guide

1jeffcat

22 hours ago, AZELISE said:

efposs posted on Nov 27, 2018 that they were having a problem with a Hoosier 205/50-15 working with an 8” wheel. 

It fits close, but I have tested it on 15x8 Advanti Storm S1 and 15x8 Konig Dial Ins, and they have cleared without issues.  One thing to keep in mind is that section width tool covers super wide tires(like Hoosiers), and ALSO wider than advertised wheels or lips that have subtly different lips that flare the tire out more, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are some 15x8s with 205/50/15 R7s, but SO FAR, I have not found any.   One of the many reasons I created this post.  :)

On 3/28/2019 at 4:09 PM, 1jeffcat said:

It fits close, but I have tested it on 15x8 Advanti Storm S1 and 15x8 Konig Dial Ins, and they have cleared without issues.  One thing to keep in mind is that section width tool covers super wide tires(like Hoosiers), and ALSO wider than advertised wheels or lips that have subtly different lips that flare the tire out more, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are some 15x8s with 205/50/15 R7s, but SO FAR, I have not found any.   One of the many reasons I created this post.  :)

Edit: As promised I went back and made absolutely sure I was on my 15x8 6ULs  and tested at both 32 psi and 36 psi and they passed pretty easily.  There were actually several of us testing and I can only assume that a 9 got swapped for an 8 at some point.  Apologies.  I've attached a pic showing the amount of room left in the template.

Erroneous original testing:

I mounted my used 205/50R15's R7s on 15x8 949 6UL's and they did not pass.  I could sneeze on the tire and the template would fall, but did not on it's own.  Perhaps a new tire would have just enough rubber that the template wouldn't sink in as deep.  But at over $1K a set, I wasn't feeling like being the guinea pig.  YMMV

2019-04-18 21.59.09.jpg

Edited by DarkGift

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DarkGift said:

I mounted my used 205/50R15's R7s on 15x8 949 6UL's and they did not pass.  I could sneeze on the tire and the template would fall, but did not on it's own.  Perhaps a new tire would have just enough rubber that the template wouldn't sink in as deep.  But at over $1K a set, I wasn't feeling like being the guinea pig.  YMMV

@Dan Howard you measured those on your 8 inch wheels and they fit fine, correct? I checked Sonny's last race weekend and they were fine. 

On 4/5/2019 at 12:02 AM, Roman V. said:

@Dan Howard you measured those on your 8 inch wheels and they fit fine, correct? I checked Sonny's last race weekend and they were fine. 

I'd be surprised if they didn't fit.  I've measured 15x9 6ULs on 205 hoosier, and it doesn't pass the 226 template, but it's VERY close, so I would think 8" 6ULs would clear fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 11:39 PM, 1jeffcat said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't fit.  I've measured 15x9 6ULs on 205 hoosier, and it doesn't pass the 226 template, but it's VERY close, so I would think 8" 6ULs would clear fine.

I would be too as it seemed ludicrous that NASA would make it illegal to use any Hoosier in ST6.  I restested and they passed  on a 15x8 6UL, did not pass on a 15x9.  I edited my post with details and included a pic showing the margin on a 15x8.  Again apologies for any confusion.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Happy New Year racers,

I hope plans for 2020 are starting strong.

I just wanted to revisit this thread for a moment. I have done a bit of searching regarding tire clearances, but couldn't find the combo I am considering listed anywhere.

Has anyone measured the Toyo Proxes RR in 255/40-17 on a 17x9 wheel?

My current combination is 17x9 BBS classic multi spoke wheels with Zestino 240/610-17 slicks (on my ST5 Mustang) that have an honest 1/2 inch of clearance in the 266 template. I feel the Toyos will be okay - my current tires are 10 inches overall width mounted and the Toyos are listed at 10.4 wide. I feel this will help make up what I'm giving up.

As always, I appreciate any and all thoughts.

Cheers

RR

On 1/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, 944buzz said:

Jongbloed 500 series 15x9 with Hoosier 225-45-15 R7 on Porsche 924s. Clears gauge with a couple of mm left over. 

Which template? 226? 257?

• 2 weeks later...