The Red Mist

wdritchey_dc2

The Red Mist
We've all heard of it or have let our emotions take over our mind before. Sometimes on the street, sometimes on the track.
My whole life I have been told I'm an emotional person, I can sometimes act on emotions and let them get the better of my instincts.

My first HPDE in a RSX Type S I had that import mindset that my car was supposed to rock the corners and be able to keep up with V8s. I quickly realized they were in a different league. After watching my line suffer my first session trying to keep up I let go and focused on my own line (and became smoother). I noticed I had become a calmer and more patient driver on the street after this first event. I had nothing to prove to anyone and would let myself be passed by flying Kia Souls while I cruised 5mph over in the right lane.

My second time out I finally had some similarly paced cars including our region's tech which brought a rental car - Toyota Camry - while his personal car was getting painted. He has heaps more experience, but in the rain I thought we were evenly matched FWD street cars. As he caught up I waved him by, but proceeded to try to keep up with him. In a decreasing radius I went too tight, too fast, and turning into the apex lost grip and wound up in the mud.

This is when I realized I had a problem that needed to be addressed.

I know clearing the red mist will not only help my track driving, but also my street driving, my stress at work, and overall how I handle life situations. Luckily, I know this is something that can be improved outside of the track and worked on. But I'm not sure what steps to take to overcome it. I know a lot is simply mindset and making yourself calm. Does anyone have suggestions, advice, or techniques they have used? On street I just hate stupid and slow drivers that ignore street signs, speed limits, merges, and let it get the best of me. On track I'm not trying to win anything, I'm just trying not to be the slowest car on the track.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, wdritchey_dc2 said:

The Red Mist
We've all heard of it or have let our emotions take over our mind before. Sometimes on the street, sometimes on the track.
My whole life I have been told I'm an emotional person, I can sometimes act on emotions and let them get the better of my instincts.

My first HPDE in a RSX Type S I had that import mindset that my car was supposed to rock the corners and be able to keep up with V8s. I quickly realized they were in a different league. After watching my line suffer my first session trying to keep up I let go and focused on my own line (and became smoother). I noticed I had become a calmer and more patient driver on the street after this first event. I had nothing to prove to anyone and would let myself be passed by flying Kia Souls while I cruised 5mph over in the right lane.

My second time out I finally had some similarly paced cars including our region's tech which brought a rental car - Toyota Camry - while his personal car was getting painted. He has heaps more experience, but in the rain I thought we were evenly matched FWD street cars. As he caught up I waved him by, but proceeded to try to keep up with him. In a decreasing radius I went too tight, too fast, and turning into the apex lost grip and wound up in the mud.

This is when I realized I had a problem that needed to be addressed.

I know clearing the red mist will not only help my track driving, but also my street driving, my stress at work, and overall how I handle life situations. Luckily, I know this is something that can be improved outside of the track and worked on. But I'm not sure what steps to take to overcome it. I know a lot is simply mindset and making yourself calm. Does anyone have suggestions, advice, or techniques they have used? On street I just hate stupid and slow drivers that ignore street signs, speed limits, merges, and let it get the best of me. On track I'm not trying to win anything, I'm just trying not to be the slowest car on the track.

Just concentrate on learning the track and taking in all the instruction you can get. With time you will be faster! 

Drive your car, not the car in front of you! :classic_biggrin:

Unless you two are in the same model car with similar tires etc. and you both know your practicing the same thing its not a good thing to follow someone.

Just concentrate on learning the track and taking in all the instruction you can get. With time you will be faster! 

Couldn't agree more.

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 1