noob question - Why so few Camaros?

Mike M

Evening everyone.  I've been doing the NASA HPDE thing (NASA SoCal) awhile and was thinking of building / buying a car for AI.  I'm more of a Chevy guy but can't help but notice the lack of them in AI.   Clearly there is a huge aftermarket of support for the Mustangs, but the Camaros have a lot also.  Looking at the rules I would think the numbers would be more equal.  

COTA showed they are competitive in a very competitive field, so what gives?  Anyone care to comment?  

Thanks!

Mike

I can’t say for certain. In the Midwest, seems like most 4th gens live in CMC instead. We do have some 3rd gen guys in AI here, I’m the sole 4th gen. There does seems to be a lot more suspension offerings for the Mustang platform, and the starting weight is a disadvantage for Camaro. But I’ve been happy so far with my car. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I did not consider the weight difference and thought a 4th gen might be close in weight and handling but for the lack of IRS.   Craigslist has some local prospects, both hard tops, a'99 and the other an '01, both SS models and showing varying degrees of having been thrashed, one of which (if you can believe it) actually appears to have been owned and properly maintained by an adult it's entire life!  Crazy, huh? Didn't expect that.

There was a really nice 5th gen at Buttonwillow a year or so ago, and a black one doing SCCA recently, but not too many bowties out there.

Thanks again for the comment, and in the meantime I'll try to learn as much as I can.

Mike