ST5/6 OEM lip clarification

oogabubchub

Hi, I've been trying to figure out if OEM lips are permitted. I've got an AP1 S2000 and wanted to add an OEM AP1 lip. Based on the Update/Backdate rule and this quote:

Because the definition of “OEM” is any part that comes from the vehicle manufacturer either as a standard feature, a factory option, or on a factory optional trim model/package of that generation of the street-legal (in the U.S.A.) version of the vehicle, a vehicle may be updated or backdated with such parts without a Modification Factor assessment (applies to those items that would otherwise be assessed one).

I would think that OEM lips being a factory option were permitted without modification factor. Am I reading this right?

• National Staff

All Aero rules in ST5/6 are based on BTM, not OEM.

3) Modified BTM, non-Base Trim Model (non-BTM), or replaced front fascia
(unless specifically approved in Appendix B:
i) May have nothing attached to it other than specifically allowed items
(above).
ii) May not have canards/winglets molded into it.
iii) Any item that is molded into the fascia during the original manufacturing process that functions as an airfoil, deflector, dive plane, or vortex generator and extends 2" or more past the outline of the immediate surrounding fascia is prohibited. To inspect: a plumb line run across the entire surface of the fascia and bumper shall not have any such item that extends 2” past the line when viewed from above.

Here is the entire section

6.1.4 “BTM Aero” Modification Factor
Vehicles that maintain the unmodified Base Trim Model (BTM) body lines, do not have non-BTM aerodynamic aides or modifications, and do not have a rear wing or rear spoiler or rear diffuser may assess the Modification Factor for “BTM Aero” in calculating the “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio”. Under this specific rule, an aerodynamic aide is considered non-BTM if it did not come configured on the base trim model (BTM) of the vehicle from the manufacturing factory. Except for those vehicle-specific higher level trim models (non-BTM) listed in Appendix B, there is no updating or backdating across trim models or the addition of dealer installed options permitted.
The following are permitted allowances/modifications for vehicles taking the Modification Factor assessment for “BTM Aero”:
1) Flat undertray/belly pan forward of the centerline of the front axle, extending
no lower than the bottom of the front fascia.
2) Removal of a convertible soft top/frame and/or adding a hardtop to a
convertible provided that the hardtop uses a sealed rear window and is OEM, an OEM option, or the same shape and size of an OEM/OEM option top.
3) Lexan front, rear, and rear side windows without uncovered holes.
4) Front wing window/frame removal and/or replacement with Lexan.
5) Hood replacement/modification for venting and/or weight reduction (“aero”
hood pins are permitted).
6) Removal/cutting/drilling of the fascia for engine cooling, air intake, brake
ducting, and transponder mounting purposes.
7) Removal of rain gutters/drip edges, windshield wipers, and mirrors.
8) Rolled or flared fenders (includes add-on flares--only to the extent necessary
to cover the tire as viewed from above—not viewed from the front or rear)
9) NACA ducts, air ducts, or air hoses placed in a side window frame solely for
the purpose of driver cooling.
10) Headlamp, headlight covers, and fog lights may all be removed. The holes
may be left open, used for brake ducts or engine air intake, or must be
covered with material that replicates the shape of the BTM light/cover,
leaving the shape of the BTM fascia intact.

6.1.5 ST6 Aerodynamic Modification Restrictions and Limitations
Active aerodynamic devices and/or modifications (including, but not limited to computerized, cockpit adjustable, self-adjusting, and OEM) are not permitted.
If not using the BTM Aero Modification Factor, aerodynamic parts/devices/aides
shall be limited in ST6 to the following:
1) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.4 “BTM Aero” Modification Factor.
2) Single rear wing or spoiler that does not exceed a height above the roof
line (or windshield frame height for convertibles), or width greater than the
vehicle’s body width, or end plates greater than 12” in length or height, or 12”
protrusion from the rear of the vehicle. Body width does not include flared
NASA Super Touring 5 & 6 (ST5/ST6) Rules 2019 v2.3 Page 11 of 26
fenders, mirrors, splitter, door handles. The Modification Factor listed in
section 6.3.2. will be assessed.
(above).
iii) Any item that is molded into the fascia during the original manufacturing process that functions as an airfoil, deflector, dive plane, or vortex generator and extends 2" or more past the outline of the immediate surrounding fascia is prohibited. To inspect: a plumb line run across the entire surface of the fascia and bumper shall not have any such item that extends 2” past the line when viewed from above.
4) Cutting/removal of the rear bumper cover/fascia where it does not cover the
rear frame/bumper cross beam.
5) Complete removal of both the windshield and windshield frame is permitted on
OEM convertible top vehicles, but will be assessed the Modification Factor
listed in section 6.3.2. The OEM cowl may be replaced with a flat cover
between the hood and the dash, but no air deflectors may be added, and the
entire cockpit must remain uncovered.
6) Convertibles may use aftermarket hardtops that are not compliant with 6.1.4.2
above, but they will be assessed with the Modification Factor for
roofline/shape, may not extend rearward of the front edge of the OEM rear
decklid, and the OEM windshield frame location must be preserved.

6.1.6 ST5 Aerodynamic Modification Restrictions and Limitations
Active aerodynamic devices and/or modifications (including, but not limited to computerized, cockpit adjustable, self-adjusting, and OEM) are not permitted.
If not using the BTM Aero Modification Factor, aerodynamic parts/devices/aides
shall be limited in ST5 to the following:
1) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.4 “BTM Aero” Modification Factor.
2) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.5 “ST6 Aerodynamic Modification Restrictions and Limitations”, except that there is no Modification Factor for a
a single rear wing or spoiler.
3) Vertical front air dam (5º tolerance) that follows or extends beneath the
outermost edge of the front and side bodywork/fascia.
4) Single flat, horizontal front splitter that protrudes no greater than 4” from where
it intersects with the fascia or air dam. Along the entire splitter, there must be
at least 1” of fascia or air dam material above/superior to where the splitter
intersects the fascia/air dam, including at any air intake region. A Modification
Factor will be assessed for any non-BTM splitter.

Thanks Greg, though I've read through those rules over and over again before posting this and it still isn't clear to me if OEM lips are permitted. Maybe I'm being dense, but mention of "non-BTM" or "replaced front fascia" seem to suggest it's permitted with some restrictions.

What I'm looking for is a clear answer to this question:

If I add a lip (OEM or aftermarket), will it

1) be a free mod

2) require a modification factor adjustment

3) make me ineligible for ST5/6 competition

My impression from the rules is the answer is #2, but I don't feel like the rules are explicit enough to say confidently.

The first question is what did a base trim model (BTM) AP1 S2000 come with?  If there was only one (1) trim level of AP1 S2000 available from Honda, then all AP1's will be the same, and this lip, since it would be BTM (available on every AP1 S2000 ever manufactured), would be legal for use and still allow you to take the BTM aero credit...

If this is not a BTM piece, but was a dealer installed option or something along those lines, then yes it would be permitted for use so long as it doesn't have any canards or dive planes incorporated into the design... use of this lip would exclude you from taking the BTM aero credit, but would not incur an additional modification factor...

This is just my way of interpreting the written rules, YMMV.

Regards,

Sam

16 hours ago, H4CRXSi said:

If this is not a BTM piece, but was a dealer installed option or something along those lines, then yes it would be permitted for use so long as it doesn't have any canards or dive planes incorporated into the design... use of this lip would exclude you from taking the BTM aero credit, but would not incur an additional modification factor...

That's how I read the rules as well, though I've heard from another driver that it was not permitted at all. He's got a wing, so I can't imagine he's talking about taking the BTM credit. I'm hoping Greg can weigh in with an official interpretation of the rules.

• National Staff

(above).

So, adding/attaching a "front lip" is not listed as one of the specifically allowed items that may be added to a front fascia (transponder, light covers, single splitter).   So, I don't see how this is a permitted modification for ST5 or ST6.  It is not a "modification", it is something that is being "attached" to the front fascia.

If one were to argue that the "front lip" addition is a "Modified BTM" front fascia (unsuccessfully based on the above in my opinion), then it is not permitted to have canards or winglets molded into it.  The OE AP1 lip has at least what can be called Dive Planes molded into it--some may try to argue they are canards/winglets, which would make it a part that is not permitted.  But either way, it would have to meet the 2" plumb line test in iii).  I cannot tell from photos on the web if it would meet that test or not, but it looks like it would be close. 

So, overall, my opinion is that it is not a permitted part in ST5/6.

Are we talking about the factory front "under spoiler", shown here:  https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08F01-S2A-141-Spoiler-Formula/dp/B00COSIW0Q

Miatas running in ST5/6 are utilizing full height air dams with a complete under tray, which are both allowed, just can't take the BTM aero credit...

A competitor can replace the factory front bumper cover with an aftermarket version and would be considered a "replaced front fascia", so long as it meets sub-items i, ii, and iii...

Not sure why adding a factory appearance package part would not be allowed, but this is ultimately up to Greg, and he has the final say. 

Regards,

Sam

• National Staff

Sam,

It's because it is a slippery slope, and if we just stick with the rule, we don't have to try and walk up it.  The CR lip is a "factory" part also, and so are the JDM versions.  Both have large dive planes and partial front splitters molded into them.  We don't want to have to start listing which specific part is permitted or not permitted for every car model.  This is what we need to do when there are hundreds if not a thousand car models eligible to compete, and who knows how many aftermarket (OEM or non-OEM) parts that have been manufactured that fit them.

1 hour ago, H4CRXSi said:

Are we talking about the factory front "under spoiler", shown here:  https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08F01-S2A-141-Spoiler-Formula/dp/B00COSIW0Q

Miatas running in ST5/6 are utilizing full height air dams with a complete under tray, which are both allowed, just can't take the BTM aero credit...

A competitor can replace the factory front bumper cover with an aftermarket version and would be considered a "replaced front fascia", so long as it meets sub-items i, ii, and iii...

Not sure why adding a factory appearance package part would not be allowed, but this is ultimately up to Greg, and he has the final say. 

Regards,

Sam

No where in the ST6 rules does it say you can run an air dam, whereas it's specifically called out in the ST5 section. TTE reclass Miata's running aero will need to go back to OEM bumper and no wang unless they really want to take -1.0 with no front aero to balance it out.

8 hours ago, H4CRXSi said:

yup, that's basically it (though that's for an AP2).

Greg,

Thanks for weighing in. In the case of the CR lip, that seems pretty well covered under the rules for dive plane and 2" rule. Would any lips be banned despite being compliant with dive plane, canard, etc rules?

It seems odd to be able to have a facia profile as long as it's molded as one piece from the manufacturer, but if it's a 2 piece assembly, that same fascia profile is not permitted. That said, I understand that steps needed to keep rules simple may also result in odd edge cases.