What class/car should I choose.

Csewell

I’m starting HPDE this year in the Great Lakes region but I would like to buy a car I can use for HPDE and also wheel to wheel racing. My first plan was to buy a e46 and build it for spece46 but after looking at how many drivers showed up for spece46 in the 2018 season I’m not so sure i want to go that route. Would there be any other classes I could race a spece46 car in while being somewhat competitive? I was also thinking about getting a car for gts2. What cars are the most competitive in gts2? Could I run a spece46 car in gts2 if I added aero and different tires and be competive? I just don’t want to build the car if no competition shows up. Any input or opinions would help me a lot. I would wait to buy the car till after I’ve done a few hpde but I need to buy a car so I have something to drive for the HPDEs and I would like to buy the car I plan on racing wheel to wheel in. Let me know what you think! 

Edited by Csewell

• 3 months later...
  • National Staff

The E46 is a great platform and if it's a 330ci or 330i it would fit into Spec E46 if you build it to that spec. It would fit into GTS2 and could be competitive if it's built to those rules, and also Super Touring, probably ST4 or ST5, but look at the ST rules to find out for sure. GTS and ST will give you the most freedom in terms of permitted modifications. 

However, if you look at the timing and scoring site link listed below, there aren't many cars in Spec E46 in the Great Lakes Region, and it's no fun to race by yourself. You could be a pioneer and build the Spec E46 in the hope of growing the class in Great Lakes, but that may or may not bear fruit. 

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Great_Lakes_Region/

I looked at some of the event results from last year and it looks like GTS2 and ST4 have decent fields, so that's probably the way to go if you're looking for competition. 

• 1 month later...

Hello I have a 2015 ecoboost mustang and I’m not sure what to join or how to spec it.  Good platform but nit sure what class it would fall in?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 5/24/2019 at 2:46 PM, Alexander Davis said:

Hello I have a 2015 ecoboost mustang and I’m not sure what to join or how to spec it.  Good platform but nit sure what class it would fall in?

You can run it in Super Touring 4 class. Have you been on track before? 

Roman

• Members
On 6/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Roman V. said:

You can run it in Super Touring 4 class. Have you been on track before? 

Roman

A 2015 Ecoboost is rated at 310hp from the factory, so it is not allowed in ST5.  Must be ST4 or higher.

ST5 models must have 264 (two hundred sixty-four) or less factory rated engine horsepower and an engine displacement less than 5100 mL (cc)**.

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Mike W. said:

A 2015 Ecoboost is rated at 310hp from the factory, so it is not allowed in ST5.  Must be ST4 or higher.

ST5 models must have 264 (two hundred sixty-four) or less factory rated engine horsepower and an engine displacement less than 5100 mL (cc)**.

Correct! "5" was a typo. Meant 4 and up. 

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Not sure if this is the right place to ask? What's the right class for a Kia Stinger GT AWD? How do mods come into play? Not looking to be competitive at this point, just try an HPDE event.

• National Staff

In NASA HPDE, you can run any car you want, provided it passes tech. Some are better than others. For example, you can run a pickup truck, but it won't be well suited to the task. A Kia Stinger should be a great car to run in NASA HPDE. 

In HPDE, there are no concessions or allowances for modifications and no classing of cars. The numbers 1 through 4 in HPDE apply to the driver's ability, not to the car. For example, if you have no experience driving on a racetrack, HPDE1 is for you. As you gain more experience, you can climb the HPDE "ladder" from 1 through 4. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I will honestly recommend you take a look at JDM cars. These cars are fast enough and are durable enough. Also, the maintenance of these cars is pretty cheap. Moreover, Japanese cars are known for their flexibility when considering upgrading them and preparing them for races. I own a few JDM cars I purchased from jdmbuysell.com. So if you are interested in my suggestion, feel free to text me. And I can share with you some more information regarding Japanese cars.

Edited by newtonwohlert