Computers and carbs

ChadM

Hi all,

I'm in the process of removing wires from under and behind the dash in my Camaro, and in doing so I found what appears to be the original computer. Is this still needed on a carb car and if so what sensors should have remained in place.

I'm looking forward to next season and getting to know all of you.

Thanks,

Chad

Chad,

Wiring problems can ruin your weekend... ask Chris Garten. I am not an expert on F-body wiring. I am not sure your level of skill when it comes to automotive wiring. But my suggesstion would be to scrape the stock intake and install the CMC Spec Intake a Holley Carb(see the rulebook) and then completely rewire from mostly scratch. I mean all of these cars are at least 10 years old and a lot of the wiring especially underhood are dry and cracking. The way I look at it a shorted old wire can ruin a weekend just as easy as a blown engine and the worst part you can really tear your hair out trying to find the problem. Good Luck

Hi Chris,

The car already has the spec. carb and manifold that was put on by the previous owner and my goal is to gut most of the wiring for the very reason of shorts that are present. If I can dump the computer altogether that's even fewer wires and connections to worry about.

Thanks,

Chad

Do you have the Holley carb? If not, consider keeping the Q-jet, it flows more cfm at WOT.

The Q-jet needs the stock computer to work right. Ben Pfaff and I both have Q-jets on our F-bodies, he has been using them for years in his different CMC cars. Ben is the one to talk to about the carbs.