Engine rules question

Big Money Mike

Hey folks...

Im still building the Firebird, and was wondering how you're supposed to get around 230hp out of an LG4 305 with just intake, carb, and cam mods? Im starting out with 170hp stock. Also, why no use of headers? Ive got headers on mine. Im still trying to figure out what class to race in. Im thinking Im gonna have to go in American Iron and do a heads, cam, intake deal. Id rather do a CMC class though. What do you think?

The rules allow the following parts:

1) Holley carburetor 600cfm-4bbl #4776

2) Edelbrock Performer intake manifold #2101 or #2104

3) Edelbrock Performer Cam kit #2102

4) GM OEM H.E.I. distributor (non-computer controlled)

This combo makes 220-230 RWHP. Headers have been an ongoing debate, but they are not allowed because they add cost.

Julie Bergman just built a spec motor using the spec parts for her Firebird, I belive it came out right on the money. Ben Pfaff's car has a carbed 305 in it as well, and its definintely not down on power in comparison to my stock 305 TPI motor.

HOpefully Julie's reading this and can chime in.

- N

I've always preferred the TPI setup...if you decide to go that way, I've got a spare 1991 305 TPI complete, but disassembed to shortblock...put it together and get ready to race...$850 takes it and I'll even tell you how to make 229/299...rp

The TPI setup has advantages over the carb setup in that the motor makes more bottom end torque, but on the flip side, it doesn't wind out as well as the carb'ed motors do, not to mention the added complexity of the wiring, fuel system (higher pressure), ECM, etc. Tho, for me I 'grew up' around EFI, so I find an EFI car easier to deal with than a Carb'ed car.

Either way, both kinds of motors are equally competitive, so I dont' think any one motor is 'faster' than the other.

- N

On an LG4, do you guys think that the stock Quadra Jet carb will flow enough with the Edelbrock intake and cam, to produce good hp numbers rather than the Holley carb? Ibeleive the Quarda Jet is 600 cfm, correct me if Im wrong.

Mike

Hi Mike, I have been running an L69HO 305 carb motor with the Edelbrock manifold and stock q-jet. Just had it rebuilt and the numbers were right there within the rules. The q-jet flows more cfm than the Holley. Ben Pfaff also runs this set-up, he would know more about the LG4. If I remember right the only difference between the LG4 and L69HO stock motors is the cam, the L69HO cam being being more aggressive, 190hp stock.

We don't use headers because we are a low budget series and that would just be another expense. Everyone would get them and there would be no gain, we would all be even. At this point we consider changes in stock set-up only to even out the Mustang to the Camaro in performance, or to address a safety issue. The intent of the series is to make it affordable for everyone and to not have your wallet win races, just driver skill.

Glad to see you interested, hope to meet you at the track sometime!

Id love to meet all of you, bu, unless you plan on attending a race in Nashville, I dont see it happening! My headers were only $90!!! Thats not a huge expense!!! Im just kidding, I uderstand what you mean by the rules process. I still have no clue what class I will be racing in. heck I havent even attended a HPDE yet! The car should be running soon, and I hope to have completed enough HPDE by the end of this year to drive wheel to wheel. CMC just seems to be a really cool series to compete in.

Mike

Big $-

Be sure to get in touch with Dewey Patton out in your region to get in on the NASA program out there. He is anxious to get some racers like yourself going, so you can be a force driving CMC out there is you have the motivation. NASA is all about getting new folks in on the game and out on the track.

-JWL

AI Series Director

NASA Chief Divisional Director